spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Just a quick question, wondering what ati owners have made of the new catalysts released today. Any improvements? (none in release notes) anything faster or slower?? DX10 'fixed' performance wise??

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Tried 7.11 for a few mins, plugged in Guitar Hero III and recieved a crash to the desktop about 5-10 min in each time. Since there were no real improvements I could see in the release notes, rather than fugging with it to see if I could get it to wrok, I just went back to 7.10.

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007

GH III performed flawlessly and without fault on 7.10, and continues to do so on my system. I only experienced CTD's after upgrading to 7.11, so, I have a feeling there is some errant code in the latest drivers which conflicts with GH III. Either that, or there is some conflict with 7.11 and my system and GH III, but either way, at least on my system, 7.11 is more than likely the cause for my GH III crashes.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Yeah I did before I made the thread, still was curious though, especially as regards cross-fire.

nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
I noticed a little bit of improvement with Quake Wars. ATi's drivers almost always improve OpenGL perf. with each release. Overall I think it was just to fix things. A shame. Since I expected to see some major ground breaker of a driver with the new cards out. Oh well...

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
ATI drivers were always good. Everytime they release something, is a nice upgrade, not like NVIDIA which releases a new driver for each single fix they release making 20 releases in a month.

Still, on the hardware site, nvidia is owning for now (well now with ATI prices, things are changing)

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
How are ATI drivers good? If the supposedly "stable" drivers come out unstable, it sounds to me as if they suck. Are ATI drivers always like this? I have never owned an ATI card so I can't compare.

nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
The drivers are stable for me, and I have played all of my games with them now. I actually increased the res. to 1920x on many of them to see if that was any better... yup. I was impressed that my OLD vid. card can do what it does these days. Every driver release has given me an even bigger smile. I feel like the card I have will continue to improve and give me another year of good times, if I want it to.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

If you were reading the posts, the problems are either guitar hero 3 not working properly - not exactly the end of the world, read the review it said it was a buggy game - or crashes during installation. I'd say (the crashes) thats probably for people with agp versions of newer cards. Shame though anyways.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Update# tweaktown.com has a run down of the new catalyst. Performance generally down a fraction. Odd coments on some of the graphs though, where fps goes down they same performance takes a hit/very dissappointing, then where it goes up they say 'no change here'. OpenGL is up clearly, so why no quake wars results??? hmmm... There game selection is a little out of date, but nice that theyre on the case and have results out.

2900 owners, another free upgrade this month. 7.11 more or less it seems makes the 2900xt the same as a 3870, which means a small performance boost at high res + AA settings. Call of Juarez DX10 is down somewhat, but then again its a shoddy ass game imo.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1227/1

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
For the record, ATI's Catalyst Drivers are RARELY buggy and usually perform without a hitch in most apps with every revision. For some reason my system didn't like 7.11 with GH 3. Not necissarilly 7.11 fault, but it was definetly a part of the problem.

For all I know it could be is a conflict between 7.11 and a process running in the background of my system when playing GH 3. Heck, it could have been just a bad install with some older driver conflicts. All I was saying is, I was too lazy to try to make it work as I knew it would work with 7.10's. And seeing as how nothing in the release notes made any difference to the games I was playing at the moment, there really was no sense in me spending time to get them up to code on my system when 7.10's worked perfectly fine.

ATI's driver releases, at least for me, are usually very stable and perform well, just some bad luck this time.

Phin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
I noticed a significant performance increase in LOTRO with the 7.11's on my HD2900XT. I've been playing with ultra high quality settings but only 2x AA. Anything past 2X and it started to drag. I can now play with 8X AA enabled while still using ultra high settings and it is smooth as butter.this is in DX9. In DX10 mode*still in Ultra high with 8X enabled* there is a bit of chop here and there but still quite playable.Going to 4X AA solves it.

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Just an update on my GH 3 issue. I stopped being lazy and ran a complete clean install rather than just the update from 7.10's to 7.11's using Driver CLeaner Platinum and I have no more issues in GH 3.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
After installing 7.11 Crysis was unplayable due to graphics corruption. (I should have taken some screenshots). I uninstalled all the ATi software and installed the Crysis hotfix version from a few days ago. Works fine now. It completely boggles my mind why 7.11 would not include the Crysis hotfix... WTF? Just doesn't make any sense.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Have you read the performance review on hardocp.com?? Its says the 2900 gets beaten around by the DX10 patch in Lord of the Rings Online with catalyst 7.10. Hows does that artcile compare to what fps youve now got/been getting??

heres the link:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQxMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

By the way, the people who got guitar hero, does that mean youve splashed out on the plastic guitar controller?? I always felt silly using it :lol: