BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I upgraded from my old K6III (on Aladin 5 chipset) to an P3 800EB (on an 815E board). I also moved from Windows 98 SE to Windows 2000 SP1. Part of the IDE drivers is Intels Ultra ATA storage driver, which would allow for UDMA-100 transfer speeds. Everything ran fine and I noticed a big transfer improvement with the driver. I then tried reinstalling my software for my Plextor 8432T burner. I could not get any of the software to work whereas they worked before on the old system.

PlextorManager - wouldn't even read from the burner
CloneCD - could not write to the burner
Nero 5 - could not write
Adaptec - would not read from burner

The only way I could get them to work was to uninstall the Storage driver software and use the basic INF. Unfortunately, this dropped me down to UDMA 33 speed (according to SisSoft 2001).

Does anyone know if there is a way around this? I tried changing the secondary driver to the cdaptapi.sys driver but that only cause a kernel dump (which I am still trying to recover). I also noticed that with Intel's storage driver, it would list the drive as SCSI when it was IDE. Once removed, the burner was listed as regular IDE.

Is there a work around? Do I have to revert back to Windows 9x?

Please let me know,

Thanks

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your burner wont run on UDMA 5. Solution is to get a Promise/Maxtor controller and hook your HD's up to that and your cdrom / dvd / burner to your mobo UDMA 3.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

EndUser

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I hope the problem is already fixed, but if not: Are you making the Plextor CD-RW a slave to the HD instead making the CD-RW a master on the second IDE controller?

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for your input. The problem seems to be with the Intel Ultra ATA storage driver. I had to uninstall that but W2K is slow (bandwith wise) without it so I converted over to WinME and it runs fine now without the driver.

Thanks

G

It seemsthan the problem is on your cd writer.you can go to the company homepage to download a latest bios for the cd writer.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nope, it's not that. I have the latest firmware and the latest software upgrades, except for Adaptec 5. I also know that the driver would throw off Windows ME. It seems that the system shuts down to fast for the cache to empty and I wind up having to run Scandisk on every reboot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There is a patch for the shutdown problem in 98SE, probably for ME also. If you really wanted 2000, I would have simply got a cheap controller card and used it for the CDRW.

Suicide is painless...........

G

try this out. GO into your bios and set your cdrw to PIO4 mode. Instead of UDMA .

Hurricane

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2001
Yes, I know this problem too! I, also, have the 815 chipset on my mobo and have the Plextor 12x10x32. I have fiddled around with that Intel storage driver to no avail. I have tried the latest and greatist storage driver from the Intel site...same stuff. The best way is just not to use that storage driver. I know it's a handicap, at least for this Win98SE system,but I've not found another way. The Intel Storage Driver is the culprit!

G

Its a known fact that Win2k doesnt play well with the ATA 100 IDE controller found on 815E motherboards. The issue is described on Microsoft's Knowledge base website. I dont know the KB article but if you do a search for ATA 100 Mode 5 and you should find it. You can also download the hotfix from there. The fix will be included amoung the 100's of other bug fixes slated for Service Pack 2.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the info, I will look for that in the knowledge base.

The V6.08 of the UltraATA driver worked excellently in W2K. Boot up times were unbelievably fast, it just screwed up the burner. If I didn't have a burner in the system, I would keep it on.

However, I did use V610.011 of the UltraATA driver (4/5/2001 release date) and that would freeze W2K on boot-up. If it did get to the icons screen, the start button would not work and you could not tab in taskmanager. Even a boot into safe mode failed, I had to scrub it and reinstall.