CD-RW Won't Burn

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Memorex CRW-1622 in a Pent III 700 MHz PC with 128 MB RAM & 18 GB HD. The other day it quit burning. I normally use Music Match Jukebox 6. I ran it in Test Only mode and it it returned no errors. When I try to burn the CD I get this message: "Unrecoverable Hardweare Error (04h 00h 02h 04h 00h 00h)"
I ran the test software included in the NTI program that came with the drive (per Memorex's instructions), and it too returned no errors in test mode. I also tried Adaptec Easy CD Creator 3.04 & Real Jukebox. They all test okay but die during a burn.
I defragged my HDs after uninstalling MMJ & Adaptec and whacking all temp files. I reinstalled MMJ and ran it in test mode. A-OK. I tried to burn and I got the same unrecoverable error. Next?

G

Looks like the drive has a hardware problem.

As it seems to be a rather old model of recorder, the lens may be dirty (it is VERY probable).

So there are two things you can do:

1st - take it to a computer shop, where they will tell you they cannot repair it and will suggest you to buy a new one
(in the best situation they could try to clean it)

2nd - clean yourself the drive or get a friend who can do it, you will need to buy a can of compressed air, and get information before trying to clean it - the most important thing is that you MUST NOT touch the lens, just spray it with the air

If you have any doubt please ask me.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There's an option I hadn't thought of. Would a can of the dry air you can find at OfficeMax or MicroCenter be the ticket? The drive model is old but the drive itself is only a year old. MicroCenter had them for $149 in white box.

G

If it's so new take it there and complain about it even if it is out of warranty. It's very strange these drives were sold just a year ago.

If it is just a year old, there shouldn't be any problem with dirty lenses.

Anyway, you have got to disassemble the drive before spraying it.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Only open the drive as a last resort!
Use the Lens Cleaner and if that doesn´t work try
bugging the store where you bought your drive a little!

If that doesn´t work , you can open the drive!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

G

I have read in several places that the CD lens cleaners are not intended for CD recorders, and many employees of the computer shops do not know this.

The brush on the CD lens cleaners can scratch the lens.

G

Right now I don't remember, but anyway the drive will get cleaner if you open it and spray it with air.

If you use the lens cleaner, you just clean the lens, not the dust inside the drive, and the dust can get on the lens easier than if you spray the whole insides of the drive.

But anyway, it's a matter of trying.

If the lens cleaner screws the drive, just sue the lens cleaner manufacturer.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well gang, the lens cleaner didn't work. Still get the "unrecoverable hardware error 04h 00h 02h 04h 00h 00h"
when I try to burn. Memorex so far has been no help blaming the software. Three different packages and all return a hardware error. I don't think so. (Where's Huey Newton when you need him?)

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Well if you open the drive after spraying it , rub the lens
with some Alcohol and let it dry afterwards!

G

NOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

After evaporating alcohol leaves a small layer of chemicals over the surface of the lens, and it would be very difficult to clean it.

You could try with distilled water, but you should let it dry for itself, not rubbing it with a cloth, this would scratch the lens.

G

I am not pretty sure but I think it would also probably leave a layer of impurities on the lens.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, thanks for all your help. It seems that first, my drive was a refurbished unit which was NOT disclosed by MicroCenter whenI bought it. Which means, second, I'm screwed as Memorex not only will not support it, they're completely out of the CD-RW market per their tech support folks. So, thanks again. I now off to find a decent EIDE internal CD-RW

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Well, not being on the CD-RW market doesn´t mean they shouldn´t give support to old drives!

Well a decent EIDE internal CD-RW , PLEXTOR ain´t!
PLEXTOR is the best CD-RW manufacturer!
Get the Plextor 16/10/40A , which is a IDE version !
It has Burn-proof (No more Buffer Under-RuN!) unlike the
Yamaha´s own 16x CD-RW drive!

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Just remembered something!

The Alcohol and Ether wont leave impurities!
The object that you would use to clean it is the guilty part!

Alcohol and Ether are use as antiseptic in Hospitals, they
(Doctors and nurses!) wouldn´t use something that could be bad for the patients , now would they?

G

Are you comparing a human life and a lens???

KEP 55, sue the company where you bought the refurbished Memorex and get a Plextor.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
No i´m not!
I just saying that if the Alcohol and Ether left impurities after they dry out, on humans it could cause infection!
And that´s the bottom line!
The impurities you are mentioning are left by the object you are using to clean the lens (Cotton or paper tissue perhaps?)

G

Come on, I was just kidding!!!!

All right, pour some alcohol or ether over a mirror or a piece of glass and let it evaporate, and then have a look at it.

jvanber

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Did anyone ever think it might be a firmware problem?

Look for a firmware update for your drive and try flashing it. Perhaps your drives' CMOS is getting some sort of checksum error. Flashing it would rectify this problem.

Joshua

G

As it failed spontaneously I don't think it is a firmware problem.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST