Raymee

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I uninstalled dvd burner 3.0 and it took out my dvd drive. It says that the driver is bad but not so...I believe it made a reg change. I am running win 7 on a lenovo laptop. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
actually it doesn't show until a disc is inserted, at least default settings in Windows 7, mine doesn't show, does it mean it's not working? As soon as I insert a disc then the drive is loaded with disc access. It's a feature in Windows 7 that can be shut off to show drive all the time but by default it's off. Name brand PC (HP, Dell, Compaq....) all have Windows pre-installed with company settings and if the company sets it as visible then that's what happens but if they don't change default settings it may not load on screen with every bootup. Just put a disc in and check Windows Explorer - My Computer to see if the disc you insert is there, if not there is a good chance the cd/dvd drive is defective. (Also note to check all cables to ensure they are sitting correctly on cd/dvd rom device, with PC off)

Big Stevo

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

This is easy just go to your device manager find your coputer and right click the computer icon click on scan devise for hardware changes, then presto chango the cd/dvd rom device re-appears, I lost mine the same way and found this fix by accident. Once I checked the system out and ran every thing all went well. So I resumed to my cd recordings from itunes.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
see, it was somewhere, I like mine not visible, I know 100% I didn't leave a disc in the system before shutting it down (as starting a PC with a disc in the optical drive is very hard on the drive motor and can kill your drive sooner)

That's not a setting to hide/show your optical drives. All that function does, is detect newly installed hardware.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
well yeah, but I am using the LG 22X Sata DVD/RW and I can detect new hardware but why, I like it that way, BTW, my drive is listed in device manager, it is detected, maybe Windows 7 Ultimate has something to it, maybe in services, or one of my tweak tools did that, unsure, haven't gone through everything but I personally like the drive not visible.

Raymee

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
It was a reg issue. I found a utility @ microsoft and it worked. I saved the download if anyone needs it. Again, it was in the regestry. I uninstalled a program and it somehow changed the reg settings...

Thanks to all of you for your excellent suggestions.

Don Boyd