CES 2012 Will Be Microsoft's Last CES Keynote, Showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
January is probably not the best time to do a major trade show event as most executives and their staffs are still suffering from holiday season fatigue and hangover and work amnesia

Yeah I heard this on the news this morning (TV), and I really don't think it's sending a 'good signal' to the users of their products. I guess now that Steve Jobs is gone Microsoft 'feels' there's no more competition -- IMO a VERY ARROGANT stance.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Its a good move. Few retail customers attend CES. They were paying a lot of money to be in contact with people who they were already in contact with. And as others have noted its a waste of money to have a show like that in January when no one is buying and no one is introducing new products. I'm sure that MS approached CES about the possibility of changing the show but were rebuked.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

I don't see how this has anything at all to do with Apple. In fact, since Apple has been doing their own litle product show the same time as CES if anything this gets them out from under that umbrella. Truth be told, few people are paying attention to a tech show at the end of January unless they're really into that sort of thing. If you're tryig to reach a bigger audience, and already never have anything ready to show off at a show like this, there's no point in forcing yourself to show up.

On another note, I highly doubt there will be a shocking/stunning product reveal (XBox Loop) at this final CES. As far as we know Microsoft isn't pulling out of E3, so undercutting their platform at the biggest gaming show of the year by pushing it out at a general tech show several months earlier is not the best idea. All their steam would fizzle a great deal by summer.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
in 2009 the year of modern gpu's i fell in love with tomshardware
now i wish it just die, always portraying apple as superior - apple may be great but they aren't superior to google or microsoft - no one is, BAD "opinion" articles, LATE NEWS, always portraying steve ballmer as some ape - not cool he may have done mistakes but hes still alright he brought us a great win 7, win 7.5 and soon win 8

post PC era my ass..... im looking at you wolfgang!!!!!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
This is not good... or MS. Sounds like they got into a fight. CES would want MS money for the space and MS still makes consumer products (phones, xbox, etc) or their partners do.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Dammit, forgot to finish the thought above...

Sounds like CES told MS that they no longer want them to be the keynote speaker for their event. They have been replaced by who.... Samsung? Sony? (doubt that) who knows. And MS said "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" and took their toys with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.