News CFD’s PCIe 5.0 x4 SSD With Monstrous Active Cooler Coming in November

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
ngl.... This is exactly the kind of cool overkill that I tend to buy! To be fair, I do have some rather large VMs that I copy around, and I have indeed suffered with heat-throttling on a number of occasions. Not enough to really justify a cooler of this sort, but what the heck... :)

Reactions: bit_user

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
This is really ridiculous. This really just needs to be a full size PCIe card that sits in a slot and attaches with a screw to the back wall of a computer case. Like those Revodrives. That would leave a lot more room for cooling solutions. This is going to block GPUs and not fit on some boards all sorts of other problems.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ocz-revodrive-x2-pci-express-ssd,2802.html

Last edited:

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
The Gen 5 consumer SSD announcements have pretty much been a bad joke in that these drives by major manufacturers were suppose to be available in the U.S. by now seeing as though there are plenty of Intel and AMD PCIe 5 mobos being sold. It's no wonder anyone actually trust the press releases by PC hardware makers any more. Few companies actually deliver on time. That could prove costly.

D

Deleted member 14196

The whole hardware industry is going in a direction that I just don’t care for and I won’t be participating in. Super high prices and ridiculous configurations. Sorry not interested not buying it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not like most home users need pcie 5 speeds.
they jumped from 3 to 5 in a few years and most people don't even have/need pcie 4 nvme yet

need to redesign motherboard layouts to move GPU down further if all pcie5 mvme are going to need those heatsinks.

The new X670 boards mostly only have 1 PCIe 5 slot now and its top one, so at least the 3+ pcie slots under GPU are still pcie 4, and don't need their own cooling systems to survive (unless its part of mb design)

if nvme is way of future, we need another way/place to mount them.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
these bulky active cooelrs wont work on a lot of MB.

many have "covers" to hide the slots and are 1large piece meaning u'd have rmeove it to use one..

and more importantly most m.2 are aroudn GPu area..and with new GPU's being MASSIVE these will not work with them.
I think it just highlights what a poor fit the M.2 standard is, for desktop PCs. Desktops were definitely an afterthought.

High-performance drives might do better to come in 2.5" form factor, and then you use a cable + adapter so you can still connect it to the M.2 slot. Currently, that route adds too much cost, but perhaps there would be better solutions if more high-performance SSDs were U.2.

However, another thought I have about this is that it shows we're really not ready for PCIe 5.0 SSDs.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is really ridiculous. This really just needs to be a full size PCIe card that sits in a slot and attaches with a screw to the back wall of a computer case.
Datacenter SSDs have often come in half-height, half-length form factor, which in nice because it fits a low-profile case. That's big enough, especially if it has active cooling (which most datacenter drives don't).

Nvidia Quadro P1000 is 53 W in a HH/HL, single-slot form factor, which shows you can dissipate plenty of heat in that size.

Reactions: ezst036

Colif

Win 11 Master
break out boxes for nvme drives might be the way of the future.

At this rate we turn PC into component systems
1 box for the 4090 with its own PSU
1 box for the nvme storage
1 box for whatever is left over - guess that could be in one of the others
just attach it all to back of monitor and suddenly no pc.

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
A ridiculous product. ‘Bigger is better, biggest is best’, works for some things but, not m2 SSDs.

A 13.6 litre V8 Chevy crate engine, would fit the premise…

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
these bulky active cooelrs wont work on a lot of MB.

many have "covers" to hide the slots and are 1large piece meaning u'd have rmeove it to use one..

and more importantly most m.2 are aroudn GPu area..and with new GPU's being MASSIVE these will not work with them.

Exactly. Case in the point, my motherboard's M2 slot is located right "behind" the GPU, it's not even "around" the GPU area. If I were to get this SSD, I would have to choose between a GPU or this SSD.

The irony of the SSD being called "gaming" isn't lost on me.

break out boxes for nvme drives might be the way of the future.

At this rate we turn PC into component systems
1 box for the 4090 with its own PSU
1 box for the nvme storage
1 box for whatever is left over - guess that could be in one of the others
just attach it all to back of monitor and suddenly no pc.

We're going back to the CRT monitor era, or those bulky old PCs where the components were positioned right behind the screen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The irony of the SSD being called "gaming" isn't lost on me.
CFD Gaming is name of company, not ssd.

Components, I was thinking along lines of hifi equipment from the 80's or 90's.
individual units

A lot of boards have the 2nd nvme slot right under the GPU slot so I wonder if the people who make nvme talked to the people who make mb about how they going to attach these things.

from what I can see, most pcie 5 nvme heatsinks are closer to what came before, the 990 Pro heatsink isn't that bad - https://www.cined.com/samsung-990-pro-ssd-launched-optimized-for-gaming-and-creative-applications/

could be they did it to... get people... to talk about them... look, it works

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
CFD Gaming is name of company, not ssd.
I think the word "Gaming" in their name is intended to convey their products' intent.

Components, I was thinking along lines of hifi equipment from the 80's or 90's.
individual units
Speaking of which, you could add an outboard USB sound box to your list of external components.

But I'd rather go the other way and have a SFF PC with everything inside, and then solve the heat problem with a custom loop and external chiller.

A lot of boards have the 2nd nvme slot right under the GPU slot so I wonder if the people who make nvme talked to the people who make mb about how they going to attach these things.
IIRC, didn't someone make a motherboard with M.2 slots perpendicular to the board + a support bracket? Or maybe I'm just imagining that. But it seems like the way to go.

could be they did it to... get people... to talk about them... look, it works
Except, if most of the talk is ridicule, then I'm not sure that's going to improve their sales numbers.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
don't hate CRT!
Eh, I was using 2x 24" Sony GDM-FW600 monitors @ home until mid-2020. They were hot, finicky, sensitive to noisy power, and blacks floated around way too much. I am never looking back.

Not to mention that newer video cards no longer have analog out - the last Nvidia generation to have it was GTX 900, which is why I bought one.

Hresna

Prominent
Jun 18, 2022
The whole hardware industry is going in a direction that I just don’t care for and I won’t be participating in. Super high prices and ridiculous configurations. Sorry not interested not buying it.

Funny, i was kindof feeling that way myself until I saw it generalized the way you put it and realized how curmudgeonly it makes me.

If we ignored pricing (which is economics/capitalism and whatnot - nothing to do with actual technology or hardware), then there’s a lot of genuinely cool and innovative things going on. Processors getting faster and faster and more energy efficient in big leaps, etc. That we might someday need cooling for our storage seems…. Like maybe there’s a form-factor shift coming…

But it reminds me when i saw my first pentium and thought, how ridiculous that CPUs run so hot that they need their own fan… just make them run not so hot, geez!

Full disclosure, I’m sure there was active cooling on my prior 486 DX2, but as a teenager in the 90s, I wasn’t particularly aware of it…

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Funny, i was kindof feeling that way myself until I saw it generalized the way you put it and realized how curmudgeonly it makes me.
We've become too accustomed to this stuff getting cheaper, I think. Outside of the tech industry, it's not the norm for products to get cheaper on a long-term trend. As tech is running into more hurdles, some of those dynamics are begging to overcome the factors enabling ever-lower prices.

That we might someday need cooling for our storage seems…. Like maybe there’s a form-factor shift coming…
There's already the "ruler" form factor, and high-end SSDs have long come in the form of PCIe add-in cards. As for U.2 drives, I think AMD's first gen AM4 boards had a U.2 cable connection.

But it reminds me when i saw my first pentium
The first time I saw a heatsink fan was on a 486DX-33.

20 years ago, I actually bought an active cooler that you were meant to attach to a mechanical hard drive.