Question change the firmware of the router

Jaiff

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
I have a Genexis Titanium T21 Pro router and it's locked by the ISP so I want to change it's firmware i am unable to find it's firmware on it's website, all over the internet, openwrt & DDWRT.

So Can anyone help me change its firmware?

Last edited:
Many routers use cpu that do support third party firmware. Even on the ones that do there is only a small subset that also has enough memory.

But as above WHY. Almost nobody needs the features third party firmware supports. Who is going to run a real routing protocol like OSPF on hardware designed for home use. The vast majority of features that people wanted years ago are now fairly standard on all routers.

So I get this far and then I looked up your router. There is no third party firmware for any router than has a ONT/optical connection. Even if you were to buy your own router...assuming the ISP even allows it...the ISP will still mostly be in control.

You can take all your neighbors routers down if you misconfigure the optical settings. Most these devices...like cable modems...are designed in such a way it is impossible to configure the modem part from the software. They can only be loaded from the ISP end. This includes any firmware updates.

There really aren't going to be many GPON ONT devices with 3rd party firmware due to lack of drivers, and last I heard Zyxel was the first to release any (as their stock firmware was OpenWRT) but nobody has done anything with them. Keep in mind such a device is kind of like a cable modem so not many ISPs are going to allow a device with unknown firmware and no credentials on their network.

For what it's worth, your device runs a MediaTek EN7528 MIPs SoC so 3rd party firmware should be possible even if there's no wifi due to lack of drivers for the MT7663 5GHz radio and MT7603 2.4GHz radio. But given the lack of popularity of such devices, don't expect any 3rd party firmware soon.

About the most you can do is connect via serial TTL and see if there are any settings you can change in the terminal. That's also the way you dump the contents of the flash so you can go beg for help from those 3rd party firmware developers.

I have a Genexis Titanium T21 Pro router and it's locked by the ISP so I want to change it's firmware i am unable to find it's firmware on it's website, all over the internet, openwrt & DDWRT.

So Can anyone help me change its firmware?

Did you buy it from your ISP or are they "renting" it to you? If you bought it, then you should have the credentials to log into it, otherwise its the property of the ISP and you shouldn't be flashing it.

DDWRT is pretty amazing, but you need to ensure you purchase a router they have a build image for.

Update:

So did some digging around and I've run into this problem before. That device is a dual purpose ONT + Gateway, which is very bad because it gives the ISP a point of presence inside your home network. The ISP is going to own that device and manage it remotely, which is why they have the credentials and you do not. In this situation I always advice you buy your own gateway device (SOHO router) and then have the ISP put the ONT into passthrough mode, where they just provided you the internet connection and nothing else.

Had a friend who moved States and the new ISP would only provide him one of those combined devices. We had to force them to put it into passthrough so he could connect his own router with his own wireless SSID and credentials.

Last edited:

Jaiff

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
1. Why?

2. If you're 'renting' this from the ISP, it is theirs, and they have total control over it.
Look into buying your own router.
Did you buy it from your ISP or are they "renting" it to you? If you bought it, then you should have the credentials to log into it, otherwise its the property of the ISP and you shouldn't be flashing it.

DDWRT is pretty amazing, but you need to ensure you purchase a router they have a build image for.

Update:

So did some digging around and I've run into this problem before. That device is a dual purpose ONT + Gateway, which is very bad because it gives the ISP a point of presence inside your home network. The ISP is going to own that device and manage it remotely, which is why they have the credentials and you do not. In this situation I always advice you buy your own gateway device (SOHO router) and then have the ISP put the ONT into passthrough mode, where they just provided you the internet connection and nothing else.

Had a friend who moved States and the new ISP would only provide him one of those combined devices. We had to force them to put it into passthrough so he could connect his own router with his own wireless SSID and credentials.
YOU ASK WHY?

Because I paid the money and the router was with the installation charges.
Now I have changed my ISP and still have this router so I want to use it as an extender or as an access point but I can't able to do this it's useless for me. Also, i like to learn new things i have never flashed a router so I want to experiment with it

I can able to login into the router with the details on the back of the router sticker. but can't change anything it's locked by ISP (someone said this to me)

USAFRet

Titan
YOU ASK WHY?

Because I paid the money and the router was with the installation charges.
Now I have changed my ISP and still have this router so I want to use it as an extender or as an access point but I can't able to do this it's useless for me. Also, i like to learn new things i have never flashed a router so I want to experiment with it

I can able to login into the router with the details on the back of the router sticker. but can't change anything it's locked by ISP (someone said this to me)
Yes, I asked why.
Because knowing the why may lead to how. Or if.

"locked by the ISP" leads one to think it is a rented device.

This device?
https://www.gxgroup.eu/product-detail?id=6156a8a9ae36277d672f7710&category=GPON ONT

GPON devices are not normal routers. They are mainly and only for changing an optical signal into regular ethernet and WiFi.
As said above, unlikely there is any custom/aftermarket/3rd party firmware for this.

Reactions: lantis3

Jaiff

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Yes, I asked why.
Because knowing the why may lead to how. Or if.

"locked by the ISP" leads one to think it is a rented device.

This device?
https://www.gxgroup.eu/product-detail?id=6156a8a9ae36277d672f7710&category=GPON ONT

GPON devices are not normal routers. They are mainly and only for changing an optical signal into regular ethernet and WiFi.
As said above, unlikely there is any custom/aftermarket/3rd party firmware for this.
No Sir, i have this one
https://www.gxgroup.eu/product-detail?id=63db8837f681a70de3c078d1&category=ONT

Yeah I know it kinda sucks, but that thing is really an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) that had a crappy Wifi interface grafted onto it. If you still have access to the original ISP you might be able to get them to unlock it for you, they'll change the admin password and reset the device to factory defaults. Otherwise it's kinda useless to anyone who isn't on that ISP's network, no ISP is going to accept another ISP's ONT device onto their network.