Question changer bios settings and it's bricked ?

fri77

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
Hello I have this PC

Motherboard: aorus x470 ultra gaming
PU: AMD Ryzon 2600
Memory: HyperX Predator DDR4 HX432C16PB3K2/16 - 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM
PU: EVGA power 110-BQ-0650-V2 650w
Graphic card Asus dual 580
Western Digital WDS500G2B0B WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND Internal SSD M.2 SATA
Enermax Liqmax II 120S
Seagate Barracuda - HDD de TB (3,5, 64 MB caché SATA 6 GB/s up to 210 / Box NOX Hummer ZX Zero
So it was working fine until I had some windows 10 blue screen. I decided to try to install windows 11 but I had to change some stuff in the bios. First I updated to the last firmware 63c I think ( I was using f50 before). Then I followed a bad tutorial and I modified the secure boot in the bios going into secure boot variables ans set platform key to update. Then all went sideways. I restarted and no sign of anything working. I can not access to the bios.
So I removed the CMOS battery to reset the bios to factory. I don't know if it worked as I still have no access.
The keyboard does not get light up.
I tried removing all the ram (and setting only one in different slots), SSD and hdd. I let only the M2 connected. but nothing.
I don't know what else to try. My motherboard goes from CPU red led, to dram and then VGA and loop. Also no bip, just a weird sound.

Any ideas on how to recover it ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
what happens if you start PC without a hdd or any drives attached?
resetting bios to defaults should have replaced the keys, depends what you did - do you have link to tutorial?

shame X470 doesn't have Q Flash + as could just flash bios over top of itself. https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...200707.pdf?v=b696b970f68a4637be1a8f35d651e316

it has Dual bios so you might have a copy of the older bios or settings still, just trying to figure out how to access it. Might bee switches on motherbaord that let you switch. Its meant to start as soon as it realises other BIOS has failed.

@COLGeek any ideas?

BIOS SW (the bottom one on the X470 Gaming 7 Wifi) is to 'SW'itch between BIOS 1 and 2. The other switch determines whether one or both BIOSes will be flashed simultaneously. Recommend to leave it on 1 for most use cases.
link
not same board but your manual mentions dual bios, it just doesn't spell it out anywhere how it works

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
If you can gain access to a CH341A BIOS programmer, you could reflash the BIOS chips on the board. I said chips(plural) since the board might need to be flashed with the same BIOS on both. The silly thing about the board is that although it has two BIOS chips on the board soldered very close to the CPU socket, it has no pins that you can jump to switch between the main(M_BIOS) and the backup(B_BIOS)bios. No switch either.

So I removed the CMOS battery to reset the bios to factory.
I'd disconnect from the wall and display(after powering down), then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then reseat components, replacing the battery after 30 mins. See if that helps.

fri77

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
No, I don't have access. I have disconnected the battery but I didn't tried to hold the start button when it didn't have it.

I did look for a switch but I didn't find anything.

I will try to add a video of the initial boot.

I have a USB key with several bios versions that I flash to the v63c using q flash but I had those versions in different folders and i selected from the q flash installation helper. I can try to put the F40 (that I know it works and it is a basic one needed before passing over f50) in the root and try to see if the qflash can flash it as it it's described here View: https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/jz8xgl/comment/gdak79n/

fri77

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
You can trigger the same backup BIOS switching by shorting the reset pins with a screwdriver when pressing the power button. Try that.
I managed to make it work, but quite often it gets back to the same and I need to press the reset button for 15 seconds till it beeps and runs ok. However sometimes my wifi is not working so not sure if it's a related problem or something from my net adapter (not coming with the board)
I reset with the case button but the bios is always in f64a (latest).
I'm not sure if my board is ok or not as sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
I tried to change the battery but still same issue.
Do you have any ideas in mind of what I can do ?
I did a crash install of windows too.
Thank you in advance