Question Changing config, now 3rd SSD missing

Aug 7, 2019
Hi, so I just bought an extra SSD for my PC. (Samsung Evo 970 plus)

The original setup how I got my PC had a 1TB HDD and 250Gb SSD. Both drives has Windows on but the default was set as the HDD, not the SSD.

So my old config was basically:
A - HDD - used to load windows and default for installation of programs etc.
B - SSD - used for gaming.

The new setup I want to launch is:
B - SSD - use to load windows and default for installation of programs etc.
C - SSD2 - used for gaming
A - HDD - used for storage of pictures etc.

Initially I inserted the Evo 970 into the motherboard, started up - went to Disc Management and added it - no problems.

Then I restarted PC and loaded it with using the SSD (referred to as B above), Windows started, no problem. Now however, the Evo 970 is not showing in Disc management at all.
Checked again in BIOS and everything is fine - so I'm confused.

So when I launch using A to boot - https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/8291/7ALjEe.png
When launching using B to boot, C is missing - https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/5853/NBZzKB.png

BTW, started again with using the HDD to boot and the Evo is there again.

Any ideas welcome.

Aug 7, 2019
What specific motherboard?

Often, use of a drive in the M.2 port will disable one or more SATA ports on the motherboard.
ASRock Z270 Extreme 4

I understand that the use of M.2 port will disable the SATA port on the motherboard - this is not the query. Yes, when I used M.2 port 1, the SATA was disabled.
That is why I inserted into the M.2 port 2. So as stated, when using my HDD to boot, the new SSD works as intended as per picture uploaded. It is only when I use the other SATA SSD as bootup that the SSD in M.2port 2 is missing. Please look at the information on the pictures provided - the query will make sense then.

Aug 7, 2019
So the drives are on the following lanes:

The HDD (Referred to as A) - SATA3_A2.
SSD1 (Referred to as B) - SATA3_1
SSD2 (Referred to as C) - M2_2.

So no conflicts.

I say again, when I switch on with Drive A as the boot drive, all three drives are seen in Windows.
When I switch on with Drive B as the Boot Drive, only A and B are seen in Windows, C is missing.

So physically I didn't change the motherboard setup between the two, only the selection of the boot drive.
Also to note, both A and B has windows installed

Last edited: