[SOLVED] Changing from a NVIDIA GPU to AMD GPU, what should I do with drivers?

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
I currently have a GTX 1660 Ti installed in my system but I recently purchased a RX 5700 XT but I'm not sure what I should do with my current drivers. Should I uninstall my NVIDIA Graphics Drivers (Via Control Panel) then change GPUs? Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Do you know how to boot into safe mode? If not Winkey + R > type msconfig, then Enter > boot tab > check mark in safe boot.

Alternatively hit Shift while pressing Restart -> Adv. Options -> Startup settings -> Restart. Choose 4 I think it is, the one without networking the generic Safe Mode.

DDU remove driver and shut down.(For GFX removal)

After replacing GFX, restart and when in Win10 -> Winkey + R > type msconfig > boot tab > remove check mark in safe boot. Remove LAN cable or Wifi. Then reboot.

If you used the alternative method, Win10 should boot normally after next Restart.

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
Download the AMD drivers. Download DDU. Run DDU, restart, after that, shut down PC, install new GFX card* and then install AMD drivers.

*Pull plug from wall, push power button, then ground yourself on the chassis.

I've had a look at DDU, and it needs windows to be in safe mode to be used, my question about that is after i uninstall and shut down, will my pc boot back into normal mode? or will it launch back in safe mode?

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Do you know how to boot into safe mode? If not Winkey + R > type msconfig, then Enter > boot tab > check mark in safe boot.

Alternatively hit Shift while pressing Restart -> Adv. Options -> Startup settings -> Restart. Choose 4 I think it is, the one without networking the generic Safe Mode.

After replacing GFX, restart and when in Win10 -> Winkey + R > type msconfig > boot tab > remove check mark in safe boot. Remove LAN cable or Wifi. Then reboot.

If you used the alternative method, Win10 should boot normally after next Restart.

Last edited:
Solution

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019

So if I boot into safe mode (using the advanced startup), when I shut down my computer, it should boot automatically into normal mode?

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
FYI - I'm headed to bed, if you need further assistance, bonk some of the other slackers in the forum.

It's pretty simple though, make sure Win10 is without Internet until you have installed the new AMD GFX drivers, after installing the GFX card.