[SOLVED] Changing graphics card or cpu?

Jul 2, 2019
I've got mid- range pc with gtx 1050 Ti ,I5 7400, 16 gb 2400mhz ram,msi b250m motherboard. I was going to buy new gpu: gtx 1660 or 1660 Ti, but my cpu could sometimes bottleneck, but I7 7700k is more expensive and doesn't give as huge fps boost as gpu would do. I don't know which one to choose.

Solution
I wouldn't go above the GTX 1660 in your case. It makes for the most balanced system. This means that in the majority of cases the CPU and GPU will be close to the same utilization and you'll be getting the most out of your hardware. You could get a better GPU and still see better performance, but not as good of performance as you could get as your CPU would be holding it back in some cases. That makes for a waste of money. A faster GPU isn't necessarily going to make it perform worse, you just wouldn't be getting your money's worth out of it. Also, going overkill on the GPU might cause performance problems if you run a lot of background tasks. Your CPU will be heavily taxed running the game and won't have resources available for...
I wouldn't go above the GTX 1660 in your case. It makes for the most balanced system. This means that in the majority of cases the CPU and GPU will be close to the same utilization and you'll be getting the most out of your hardware. You could get a better GPU and still see better performance, but not as good of performance as you could get as your CPU would be holding it back in some cases. That makes for a waste of money. A faster GPU isn't necessarily going to make it perform worse, you just wouldn't be getting your money's worth out of it. Also, going overkill on the GPU might cause performance problems if you run a lot of background tasks. Your CPU will be heavily taxed running the game and won't have resources available for things like chat programs or browsers. A more balanced system can help mitigate that.

Reactions: d0wek
Solution