Question Changing motherboard brand with new upgrade ?

Jul 14, 2024
I'm upgrading to am5 from my am4 system and i have a new motherboard along with the appropriate cpu and ram picked out. I'm changing from an ASRock board to an MSI one.

When i reinstall my M.2 drives and boot the system, would there be any issues from the old ASRock board's chipset drivers being on that drive with the new board or can I just immediately install the new chipset drivers with no issues from the old stuff, and just do a clean reinstall of my AMD GPU's Adrenaline software?

Jul 14, 2024
So i have 2 x M.2 SSDs, One is my C drive and one for storage.

Is there a way to move all data from the C drive (games and such) and leave just the OS i need to reinstall to my other ssd so i can just do a clean install onto the 1st drive without worrying about losing any thing important. Then just put the 2nd drive back and reallocate the data?

I'm upgrading to am5 from my am4 system and i have a new motherboard along with the appropriate cpu and ram picked out I'm changing from an asrock board to an msi board when i reinstall my m.2 drives when i boot the system would there be any issues from the old asrock boards chipset drivers on that drive with the new board or can i just immediately install the new chipset drivers with no issues with the old stuff and do a clean reinstall of my gpu software im using a amd card so the Radeon adrenalin software
Install newest chipset drivers before finally shutting off system. Also make sure you have wired internet connection when starting new MB, windows are good at finding and installing drivers. It just might work.

Jul 14, 2024
Install newest chipset drivers before finally shutting off system. Also make sure you have wired internet connection when starting new MB, windows are good at finding and installing drivers. It just might work.
So for the Msi board I plan on using I would just go to the Msi website get the latest drivers for the board I’m upgrading to (MSI b650) and they’d be detected when I boot the pc after getting everything moved over? Or would I need to install them on my current board (Asrock B550) or just have them good to go on my m.2 C: drive and they’d auto install and not cause issues with the old Asrock drivers?

So for the Msi board I plan on using I would just go to the Msi website get the latest drivers for the board I’m upgrading to (MSI b650) and they’d be detected when I boot the pc after getting everything moved over? Or would I need to install them on my current board (Asrock B550) or just have them good to go on my m.2 C: drive and they’d auto install and not cause issues with the old Asrock drivers?
No, go here
https://www.amd.com/en/support/download/drivers.html
download and install general b460 chipset drivers which consists of drivers for almost all AM4 chipsets.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/chipsets/am4/b450.html

Jul 14, 2024
Sorry my bad, look at 600 series chipset drivers but if you look at description they also support chipsets down yeah o checked and

Sorry my bad, look at 600 series chipset drivers but if you look at description they also support chipsets down to 300 series.
Okay and just in case I’d need to do a reinstall of windows how do I backup my stuff that is on C:drive to my other ssd I mainly use pc for gaming so I don’t have any pictures or stuff like that just not sure what would be necessary to backup so it’s just the OS that would be wiped

Okay and just in case I’d need to do a reinstall of windows how do I backup my stuff that is on C:drive to my other ssd I mainly use pc for gaming so I don’t have any pictures or stuff like that just not sure what would be necessary to backup so it’s just the OS that would be wiped
You can just copy all your personal stuff from C: drive to other, non OS drive. Other tan that there's nothing else you can save. Games even if installed on 2nd drive will most probably not work in new Windows so would have to be reinstalled, all you can do ist to save and copy game saves if any. Steam has own utility to make them work again with minimum bother and loss.
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4593-5CB7-DC3C-64F0

Jul 14, 2024
You can just copy all your personal stuff from C: drive to other, non OS drive. Other tan that there's nothing else you can save. Games even if installed on 2nd drive will most probably not work in new Windows so would have to be reinstalled, all you can do ist to save and copy game saves if any. Steam has own utility to make them work again with minimum bother and loss.
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4593-5CB7-DC3C-64F0
I know it’s kinda up to me what’s personal but would just copying everything but the windows folder on the C; drive be the “easiest” way to do this without needing to go through all the folders like program files and such or are there things in there that need to be removed during a clean install sorry if I’m being a bit difficult lol just wanna be 100% before doing something like this

I know it’s kinda up to me what’s personal but would just copying everything but the windows folder on the C; drive be the “easiest” way to do this without needing to go through all the folders like program files and such or are there things in there that need to be removed during a clean install sorry if I’m being a bit difficult lol just wanna be 100% before doing something like this
Not everything is in Windows folder and you may run into permissions problem to access them, Windows folder is just for system files. There's also Users folder where Documents and other folders are stored. Windows folder is just for system files.
Actually best would be to get another disk and use a program like Macrium Reflect to back everything up to it. That backup can be unpacked as virtual disk later on and files extracted from it. it also has an option to restore backup to new hardware where it attempts to restore just files, settings and drivers pertinent only to new system. It also has utility to fix any BOOT problems that may arise.
Actually it's wise to make and maintain backups all the time even automatically. That way you are 15-30 minutes away from recovering from any disaster. You get back whole system and disks as it was after last backup.
MR only backs up actual data , not empty space so backup file is much smaller than total disk space and because of compression even smaller than that by 25%. After main full backup you can do just Incremental or differential backups that record just changes made during that time. It's usually just about 10% or less of full backup.

Jul 14, 2024
Not everything is in Windows folder and you may run into permissions problem to access them, Windows folder is just for system files. There's also Users folder where Documents and other folders are stored. Windows folder is just for system files.
Actually best would be to get another disk and use a program like Macrium Reflect to back everything up to it. That backup can be unpacked as virtual disk later on and files extracted from it. it also has an option to restore backup to new hardware where it attempts to restore just files, settings and drivers pertinent only to new system. It also has utility to fix any BOOT problems that may arise.
Actually it's wise to make and maintain backups all the time even automatically. That way you are 15-30 minutes away from recovering from any disaster. You get back whole system and disks as it was after last backup.
MR only backs up actual data , not empty space so backup file is much smaller than total disk space and because of compression even smaller than that by 25%. After main full backup you can do just Incremental or differential backups that record just changes made during that time. It's usually just about 10% or less of full backup.

Jul 14, 2024
Ok so I think i would be okay to go ahead with my upgrade when I pull the trigger on parts I think all I have left on my C; drive is the stuff that can’t be backed up like the 2 program files and the windows i think need to back up the user folder still and I’ve set up one drive to backup all data in my documents and desktop

USAFRet

Titan
That will not work.

By 'personal stuff', we mean doc/music/videos/etc.

If you try to copy the whole /Users/ folder, you will run into permissions issues.
Just copy the specific files within.

Reactions: CountMike