Question Changing motherboard, processor (from FX-8350 to Ryzen 5 3600) and Ram.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
From my current rig, I have an SSD drive with Win 10 on it and another hard drive with programs loaded on it. If I simply install the old drives on the new motherboard, will Windows load/function when I boot up the computer?

Did you notice if there were ANY standoffs under the motherboard, that did not line up specifically with a hole in the motherboard for a standoff screw to be installed though? Or in other words, are there any standoffs touching the bottom of the motherboard because they don't line up with a hole in the motherboard for a screw to go through?

Anything of that nature? Anything related to the installation of the motherboard itself that felt wrong, or off, or seemed peculiar, because I'm down to thinking this is related to something about the way the motherboard is installed since changing cases has affected the problem, and should not have, since disconnecting all of the front panel connections from the old case didn't change anything.

Glad you are having some success with games now though, at least.

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
Did you notice if there were ANY standoffs under the motherboard, that did not line up specifically with a hole in the motherboard for a standoff screw to be installed though? Or in other words, are there any standoffs touching the bottom of the motherboard because they don't line up with a hole in the motherboard for a screw to go through?

Anything of that nature? Anything related to the installation of the motherboard itself that felt wrong, or off, or seemed peculiar, because I'm down to thinking this is related to something about the way the motherboard is installed since changing cases has affected the problem, and should not have, since disconnecting all of the front panel connections from the old case didn't change anything.

Glad you are having some success with games now though, at least.

I did not find any issues with the old motherboard installation.
I did not disconnect all front panel connections - just the USB.
Just before I wrote this I was watching a youtube video. About 1 minute into the video (which seemed to be playing normally, the picture froze for about 15-20 seconds but the music was still playing normally. After the 20 seconds of so - the video played super fast till it caught up with the music. After that, the balance of the video played normally.
Could it be some kind of cache issue??

You ran the Extended/Long generic test, on every drive? I'm just verifying because, you know, that test takes hours and hours to run on large drives. Just want to make sure you've actually run the correct tests. Are you using Seatools for Windows or WD lifeguard tools?

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
You ran the Extended/Long generic test, on every drive? I'm just verifying because, you know, that test takes hours and hours to run on large drives. Just want to make sure you've actually run the correct tests. Are you using Seatools for Windows or WD lifeguard tools?

I installed WD Life Guard Diagnostics and Sea Tools for Windows. I have run every test that could be run on every drive - every result was a "pass". Smart Check, Short Drive Self Test, Short Generic and Long generic. WD Quick test and extended test.

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
Update 1-14-20. Installed 16 additional gigs of Ram - now 32gig. I used a generic USB keyboard and mouse for a while - they had no effect on the freezing that is still randomly occurring.