Charging a USB device with no computer around

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I have a mobile device that charges via USB and I sometimes need to charge it when I'm away from home, is there an adapter that will convert an AC power outlet to a USB that will just give out power? I'd prefer one that will work on both 220v and 110v.

P.S.: Didn't know where to put this post, so put it here.

I know what everyone's been wondering - 2^33634943-1 IS NOT PRIME. Now, wasn't that worth running <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.com" target="_new">Prime95</A> for a month to know?

samcheetah

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2003
>I have a mobile device that charges via USB

USB is an interface bus. it provides a way for your computer to talk with devices i.e send data to and fro. i dont know if it is used to charge something. the usb connection might be for data connectivity. and there must be a separate connector for power.

what device are u reffering to. maybe it can charge from the voltage available from usb. i believe that is in the 5V range (ill confirm that). the ac outlet voltage can be converted to charge your device by using commercially available adapters. dont attempt to do something yourself. patience is a virtue. first be confident that what u r doing is right because giving the wrong voltage to the device may damage the charging circuitry and/or the battery.

cHeEtAh

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
It's an MP3 player that charges throught the USB. Most times that I connect it to a computer I don't care for exchanging files but just for charging it as it has no other charger. Even I knew the voltage of the USB, I'd still need some kind of outlet shaped like the plug on the device. I know there are many devices which take their power from the USB so it seems only logical to me that there would be an adapter that would turn any common AC outlet to a USB jack just giving power.

I know what everyone's been wondering - 2^33634943-1 IS NOT PRIME. Now, wasn't that worth running <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.com" target="_new">Prime95</A> for a month to know?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: it seems only logical to me that there would be an adapter that would turn any common AC outlet to a USB jack just giving power.

Yup you would think so but then again maybe not. You might be stuck or try borrowing somone else computer I would doubt you need the software installed.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Yes, no software would be needed. But alas, they lack computers in the middle of the friggin desert (at least ones which have USB ports in them).

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
What the heck are ya doing wondering around a desert with an mp3 player?

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Friggin school-trip, was really fun though... At this one point on the way home they stopped the busses and let everyone out to play in the dunes which was extremely fun because of this bigass sand storm that was raging there. Winds so strong they almost blew me to the ground. You wouldn't believe how cold the desert can be.

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
Wouldn't a (powered) USB bus do the trick? It should supply juice to the connected USB devices. You could probably pick one of those up fairly cheaply.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Do you think a self powered USB hub (and splitter) would work? (or is that what you meant all together)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Make one from a 5VDC adapter and a USB extension cable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

samcheetah

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2003
crashman to the rescue !!!

he is right just get a 5V adapter and a usb extension cable. Inside a USB cable there are two wires for power +5 volts (red) and ground (brown) and a twisted pair (yellow and blue) of wires to carry the data. The cable is also shielded.

this is what u have to do. the mp3 player needs the B-connector of the extension cable. so cut the A-connector end (the one that usually fits in the computer). Take a 5V adapter and cut the connector of the adapter. now join the +5V wire of the adapter with the +5V (red) wire of the USB cable. and then connect the ground wires simillarly. there u have it. plug the adapter into the ac outlet socket and have fun.

in case u remain mobile all the time and u want to have your mp3 player on all the time u can also make a 5V charging array of batteries. connect the array in the same way u connected the adapter. use as many batteries in the array that u like to take along with u.

and hey i didnt know deserts were cold!!!!

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
OK, I get it, but the player uses the A connector, not the B one. (It has an A male and the computer has an A female, B is the smaller one you can usualy find on printers and digital camcorders).

samcheetah

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2003
ok in that case u will have to get an A to A connector. the A to A extension cable has both male and female. just leave the A connector that fits into the device and cut the other one. that will be simple.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Ya, got a cable (2 inches long) with the player.

samcheetah

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2003
i think u should not cut the cable that came with your player. u should keep it safe for the times u charge it from a computer. just get a new one. if u are confident that u dont need the cable u already have then go ahead cut it out.

have fun