[SOLVED] Chassis and System fans

Feb 5, 2022
I have a gigabyte b450-ds3h motherboard...I'm not planning to buy a new motherboard yet. my mobo has only 1 system fan in it (that's where i plugged my radiator fans) then the three case fans were inserted in my power supply. what if i upgraded into h500 cooler master or lian li lancool 215 then i connected their case fans into my PSU. does the RPM of the case fans will change? because i have seen around the internet that my case fans should be inserted in the motherboard. i want to focus on my PC case first because of my tight budget.

thank you in advance for the feedback!

So here's my setup
Gigabyte RTX 2060 2fans (GPU)
Ryzen 5 2600 (CPU)
Corsair Cv550 (PSU)
Corsair Vengeance 8x2 (3200mhz) (RAM)
H100 Corsair (CPU cooler)
Gigabyte b450-ds3h (MOBO)
Tecware Nexus M mATX(PC Case)
Western Digital 1tb

Solution
No, if you connect fans directly to the power supply, which you can't even DO for most case fans these days, it will NOT have variable fan speed.

No, your board has TWO fan headers, the CPU_FAN header and the Sys_Fan header.

For the H100 the fans should be connected to the integrated four fan hub on the pump itself. Then the pump should be connected to both the CPU_FAN header and the 4 pin peripheral power cable coming from your power supply. That leaves the Sys_Fan header open for whatever you want to connect to it but I would recommend not connecting more than two fans directly to the system fan header unless you get a fan hub, connect that to the system fan header and then connect however many case fans you need to the fan hub...
No, if you connect fans directly to the power supply, which you can't even DO for most case fans these days, it will NOT have variable fan speed.

No, your board has TWO fan headers, the CPU_FAN header and the Sys_Fan header.

For the H100 the fans should be connected to the integrated four fan hub on the pump itself. Then the pump should be connected to both the CPU_FAN header and the 4 pin peripheral power cable coming from your power supply. That leaves the Sys_Fan header open for whatever you want to connect to it but I would recommend not connecting more than two fans directly to the system fan header unless you get a fan hub, connect that to the system fan header and then connect however many case fans you need to the fan hub.

THIS is how that cooler SHOULD be installed.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/blog/how-to-install-the-hydro-series-h100

Solution