Cheap NVMe (Plextor m8se) 1TB vs. average SATA SSD (Crucial MX500) 1TB

okyys

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hello guys.

Please help me choose between these 2 models:

PLEXTOR M8SEGN 1TB or Crucial MX500 1TB.

I have chosen exactly these 2 models, because they are both available to me and the price is acceptable. Capacity (1TB) has been chosen to meet all the requirements (Installed OS, necessary applications and some games I want to play sometimes + some free space for longer life).
The current capacity of Samsung's 850 PRO 256GB is not enough.
The Plextor one (cheapest model, without heatsink) is around 55 eur more expensive than MX500 and it is the maximum amount of money i would like to spend on the SSD (around 300 euros in Latvia).
The most, really the MOST important for me is endurance of the SSD. My PC is always on 24/7, with open browsers, utorrent and steam. I game sometimes. I watch HD video content. I don't have to move heavy files around or work with them.
I don't mind waiting 2 seconds more to load a level in game, i also don't care about the synthetic tests as I have checked them all and I know the Plextor model or super pricy Samsung 960 EVO are both faster than MX500. The only thing that really matters here is endurance.

Plextor states 640TB TBW and gives a 3-year warranty while Crucial has only 360TB TBW but 5-year warranty.

Which one to choose? Or maybe there are better options for my price range and capacity requirements? Please do not offer a HDD.

The motherboard is ASUS Maximus X Hero with 16GB RAM and i7 8700K CPU. Everything should be compatible.

Thanks in advance!

RealBeast

Titan
You will not notice any performance difference in the things that you have listed as uses. And either drive will last longer than you will even want to use them in terms of total write capacity, both drives will do far more than the rated values. I would go with the less expensive Crucial.

Endurance is not an issue.
The larger the ssd the more nand blocks there are to handle updates.
Either will be long obsolete before a heavy desktop user will run out of updates.
As to performance, you will notice no difference between sata or pcie interfaces.
Most of what you will do is small random I/O

If there is any difference, it will be because of the controller.
For that, I would favor the Samsung 850 or 860 evo products.
Yes, you will par a bit more for Samsung.

USAFRet

Titan

Irrelevant.

My main system is SSD only, 5 drives, the eldest being almost 6 years old.
120GB to 960 GB.

Adding them up, in constant use, they total a tiny bit over 40TBW.

Unless you're using this for a high volume database server, or a render farm for an actual movie production house, you will never get close to those numbers.
You'll move that drive through 3 different systems before you break 100TBW.

okyys

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
I found another solution - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD. It will cost me around 30 eur more than MX500, but less than Plextor NVMe.
It's fine with me to pay 30 eur premium for a Samsung product and the TBW is better also, but is it woth it?

USAFRet

Titan

The 860 EVO and MX500 are SATA based drives.
The Plextor or 960 NVMe is...an NVMe drive.
It's more expensive because it is 'faster'. For your use ..."Installed OS, necessary applications and some games I want to play sometimes + some free space for longer life"...NVMe is not necessary.

So, the SATA 860 EVO or MX500.
Performance is about the same for either of those.