[SOLVED] Checking if PSU is faulty [Paperclip method]

Sep 13, 2021
If I connect the green and black wire pins from the 24 pin connector by a paper clip (I'm a newbie, watched a YouTube video), turn on the PSU and the fan is spinning continuously, does it guarantee that my PSU is not faulty?

Solution
Partially. That means it is passing its own POST test.

However, that does not mean that all voltages are outputting, or that they can sustain having a load applied.

The only way to properly test a power supply is with specialized equipment, or, testing it with computer equipment attached.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

However, that does not mean that all voltages are outputting, or that they can sustain having a load applied.

The only way to properly test a power supply is with specialized equipment, or, testing it with computer equipment attached.

Reactions: uvaishassan
Solution
Sep 13, 2021

So this means I have to test the voltage output using a multimeter?

DSzymborski

Titan
So this means I have to test the voltage output using a multimeter?

Not really. You would need a load tester and an oscilloscope to really check out a PSU. Since most people don't have those, there's a bit of guesswork, which means only using known quality PSUs.

It would be helpful if you described in detail the actual problem and the exact PSU.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Even that is not sufficient to actually test a power supply (not in regards to an oscilloscope, that would be useful). Still a good test, open circuit voltage testing will let you know if any rails have failed.

For example, the PSU fan will spin if 12V is working, even if 5V is dead.