News Chinese chipmaker tapes out 16-core DragonChain-powered CPU, 64-core coming — Loongson LS3C6000 server processor will rival Zen 3 CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirley Marquez

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Another question is whether compilers for Loongson's instruction set (which from the reports I have seen is a fork of MIPS) are mature yet. Even if their CPUs are theoretically equal in performance to x86 and ARM, they could be held back by inadequate compilers that do not optimize well.

Nonetheless, it's a significant achievement for Loongson.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Another question is whether compilers for Loongson's instruction set (which from the reports I have seen is a fork of MIPS) are mature yet.
They've been upstreaming GCC patches, for a couple years at least. Decent GCC support is needed to build the Linux kernel (though, it also compiles with LLVM, on at least some architectures). I don't know where LLVM support for Loongson stands, but LLVM doesn't have a major performance lead over GCC, overall.

Even if their CPUs are theoretically equal in performance to x86 and ARM, they could be held back by inadequate compilers that do not optimize well.
I think their ISA is similar enough to what has come before that GCC should be pretty good at optimizing for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.