Chinese Tablet Maker May Sue Apple Over iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzman24

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I think I'm going to sue my neighbor for stealing my hair cut! Why don't we all just cry about it, huh? A tablet is going to look like a tablet I'm afraid. If the iPad was pink and neon green would the Chinese co. have a case then?

realheadcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003
[citation][nom]realheadcrusher[/nom]"Well, they're not THAT colorful anymore."I hope there's some kind of gamma control. It's too dark right now[/citation]
Nice, wrong article lol

thespin

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Jobs announced trying to get a leg up on some real tablet competition coming out this year, doing what the Softies are famous for doing, attempting to persuade customers to put off buying decisions until Apple can complete a tablet that customers will want. He may have chosen the name iPad just for the controversy since Apple must have known it was already trademarked. Apple will probably use a different name at actual product introduction.

However, the Softies were clever enough to promise vaporware that would actually defer customer purchases from the competition. Jobs failed here ... only Apple nuts would actually want the iPad as described over the competition that will soon be on sale ...

thespin

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Jobs announced trying to get a leg up on some real tablet competition coming out this year, doing what the Softies are famous for doing, attempting to persuade customers to put off buying decisions until Apple can complete a tablet that customers will want. He may have chosen the name iPad just for the controversy since Apple must have known it was already trademarked. Apple will probably use a different name at actual product introduction.

However, the Softies were clever enough to promise vaporware that would actually defer customer purchases from the competition. Jobs failed here ... only Apple nuts would actually want the iPad as described over the competition that will soon be on sale ...

amarok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I really really really hope that the trend of naming everything starting with an "I" would stop right now. - ifootball, ifoot-oder, iturnip, iorange, idisney, iniel iarmstrong....what have you..
Enough already! go to the next letter please..

Jcar, jpad, jmilk, jmoonlander, jbanana,....oh god...STOP!!

tvcmaster

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
To me it seems that Tom's Hardware has no good news as of lately...

@on topic- It is a good thing to that xingling company that their product 'looks alike' iPad (not that I agree. Come on! It's a tablet, how else it should look like?). Think on the free 'propaganda' they're acquiring.

"Don't have lots of money to spend on a shitty product?! Here! I have one that looks like to that shitty one, costs the half and runs an OS that actualy works!"

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
The Chinese tablet company would get thrown out in a heartbeat I think, but others defiantly seem to have some weight behind them.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If Apple sued for every Iphone clone, Ipod clone, shuttle clone etc, etc, etc, that comes out of China, the whole country would be bankrupt!!!!!

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If Apple sued China for every Ipod clone, Iphone clone, shuttle clone, Mac clone etc... that comes from there, the whole country would go bankrupt.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
wait, so they want to sue when a company makes a similar looking product but almost their entire lineup is copied. BS. I hate how all those companies in China get away with ripping off other companies

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Even if there was a case (which there isn't), I wouldn't do anything as a judge. Call it retribution for their shitty knockoffs of American designs.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]major7up[/nom]As much as I don't think that the iPad is a revolutionary product, I don't think the Chinese company has much of a case.[/citation]

Here to that, when I read Shenzhen in this article it made me stop reading. Shenzhen/Guangzhou pirate everything they can, they have no say in litigation.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Here is what the Wired article said...Wu is with the Chinese firm...:

"Wu says that Apple has not only copied the concept of a multitouch tablet, but also the design of the case and screen bezel. And pre-empting our obvious criticism, that the P88 is just a large-scale iPhone or iPod Touch rip-off, Wu says that “they have nothing to do with it, as they have completely different functions.”

As you can see from the picture above, Wu is being rather generous when he describes the P88 and the iPad as “completely identical”. The specs tell a different story. The 10.2-inch screen isn’t multitouch (it uses resistive touch), the P88 uses a hard-drive (250 GB), has an Ethernet port, a 1.3-MP webcam and Intel 945GSE chipset (likely to be paired with an Atom CPU, not listed) with a gig of RAM. It also runs Windows.

The kicker, though, is the battery life, low even for a keyboard-less netbook, which is what this is. Without the power cord you get just 1.5 (claimed) hours."

G

Apple seems like to use other's name, such as iPhone (from Linksys) and iPad (from Fujitsu) instead of product design. Apple is creative in product design and not product naming.

G

Nothing new here... it's just packaging. I'll wait for the HP Slate. Slate sounds better than iTampon.

Status
Not open for further replies.