News Chinese Xindong Fenghua GPU with GDDR6X Takes on AMD and Nvidia

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
I will give it a shot if/when it's available!

More competition is ALWAYS good for consumers, not to mention majority of PC gamers are casuals and currently because of "duopoly" of nVidia and AMD, consumers don't really have much of a choice but to pay at least 30% increased RETAIL prices with every gen even for low/mid range cards. And with all the mining BS, it's almost impossible to get a card even at double the retail price.

Give me DirectX (11 and 12) compatibility, $300 price tag, 80% of GTX3080 performance, and I'm in, don't care who makes it.

sorry miner first.

because of "duopoly" of nVidia and AMD, consumers don't really have much of a choice

consumer also did not allow for third competitor to exist. else we will not in duopoly situation right now. there are several company competing in graphic accelerator market back in the 90s.

It'll be cool to see a new competitor, but multi GPU sounds like a downfall. Even still, hardware acceleration in some software as well as in data centers, this could be good news.... But if ya wanna be a world wide respected company, I hate to break it to you and your marketing team, but ya can't have the word dong anywhere in the name of your product, You just can't trust me on this. I'm not even trying to be funny here.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
If they make it run 1080p games at respectable levels like 1070 or 5600XT, doesn't suck 600W, and costs under 300$ it would sell like crazy (249$ would be a bomb). That's where mass market is. Well, IMHO...

ddcservices

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
Give me DirectX (11 and 12) compatibility, $300 price tag, 80% of GTX3080 performance, and I'm in, don't care who makes it.

The Trump(and now Biden) tariffs add 23% to the price of anything that will be shipped from China. There is also the issue that not enough people talk about, the difference between GPU price and video card price, then the difference between the price the video card maker charges, and what the DISTRIBUTORS then charge retailers. The video card could be $300 from the video card maker, and then the distributor charges $800 to get the card from China to whatever country the destination is. The retailer now ends up charging $1000 for a card that only generates $300 to the video card maker, and the GPU maker is getting what, $50 for the GPU chip itself?

ddcservices

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
I will give it a shot if/when it's available!

More competition is ALWAYS good for consumers, not to mention majority of PC gamers are casuals and currently because of "duopoly" of nVidia and AMD, consumers don't really have much of a choice but to pay at least 30% increased RETAIL prices with every gen even for low/mid range cards. And with all the mining BS, it's almost impossible to get a card even at double the retail price.

You may not remember the AMD K5, which had compatibility problems, and other chips that were out there that weren't fully compatible. If the chip runs slow, but also doesn't handle DirectX 11, 12, and Vulkan decently, then it won't do well worldwide.

regs01

Honorable
Apr 15, 2018
It'll be cool to see a new competitor, but multi GPU sounds like a downfall. Even still, hardware acceleration in some software as well as in data centers, this could be good news.... But if ya wanna be a world wide respected company, I hate to break it to you and your marketing team, but ya can't have the word dong anywhere in the name of your product, You just can't trust me on this. I'm not even trying to be funny here.
Chiplet (MCM) is not like multi GPU used to be. Those acted like separated GPU working on their own. Chiplets are being glued together into single large GPU. They are connected into inner bus, so they are like one large GPU. Intel already has it with Gen 12 (Xe). Not for gaming solutions yet, though. Nvidia and AMD also planing to switch to MCM architecture very soon, within one or two generations.

Reactions: spentshells

zszabo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
It seems I'm way late to this discussion. Just a few things to point out:
  1. Chinese vendors releasing their own chipsets to increase competition with NVidia and ATI is all well and good, just don't expect that to make a dramatic difference in the short term. Why? Because those companies also contract with Taiwanese manufacturers. Taiwan is the biggest manufacturer of chips in the world, period. Everybody buys from them.
  2. Price hikes in the tech (and particularly GPU) market aren't due to "miners" or "distributors," but rather due to a continuing shortfall between demand vs supply. Miners (and other, emergent markets that make use of these technologies) increasing demand ironically leads to lower prices for consumer in the sufficient long run, due to economies of scale (the more of something is manufactured, the lower the unit price). Solutions to this problem are being implemented as we speak (e.g. TSMC's chip factory being built in Arizona, with a current, estimated completion date around 2024-2025), but for now we have to be patient. In other words: for a modicum of pain today, you'll be much better off tomorrow.