[SOLVED] Chipset driver update? Getting mixed answers for latest version

Jan 31, 2020
Hey,

I've been meaning to update my chipset drivers, however I'm getting mixed responses from driver websites as to what is "current". It may be because my mobo was optimised for Win7? I'm not too sure.

SPECS:

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77 - V - LX
CPU: Intel i5 3570K
RAM: 8gb
GPU: Nvidia GTX 670
PSU: 650 Watt Corsair something or other

Anyway, the chipset family is Intel 7 series C216, and current version installed is 10.1.1.38. Official websites say this is the most current version, while all driver update programs say there is an update to 10.1.1.45?

Some extra info: My mobo was relevant for Win 7, and now I'm on Win 10.

My question is: how do I determine the latest drivers? And is it even worth updating them?

TIA :)

Solution
2 months later and i've resolved it. BSOD and crashing solved by redownloading ASUS ai suite II for my pc. Motherboard functions such as turbo boost must be tied to it.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Model for your Corsair PSU and it's age? By driver update programs, what are you working with? In fact, how many are you working with? Please don't use third party apps to tell you what is or isn't up to date. If it's not listed on your manufacturer's support site, then leave it be.

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Never use 3rd party driver update programs.

If your system is running fine, leave it be. All chipset drivers do is allow the os identify the chiplets on the motherboard and it's function.

Running Win10? It Should have most drivers covered. If there are manufacturer specific drivers from the motherboard website as said above then install those but probably not necessary.

Jan 31, 2020
Model for your Corsair PSU and it's age?

TX650, about 7 years old

By driver update programs, what are you working with?

Driver Easy. I don't use it to install, just see what is out of date. Though, I do remember others say the same thing.

I won't do that from now on, but official websites don't even seem to list my current version as the latest? Seems they don't update the website often.

Running Win10? It Should have most drivers covered. If there are manufacturer specific drivers from the motherboard website as said above then install those but probably not necessary.

See I started looking at the drivers because I was getting BSOD from games since I updated to Windows 10 from 7. The only context it happens is playing games on the CPUs in-built turbo mode for auto CPU overclock. The crash seems to occur in the graphics driver (or so says the crash report), so I assumed there was some compatibility issue between the mobo and GPU that driver updates could resolve.

Also, BIOS and GPU are already up to date.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh ok. When i updated recently to Win 10 i did a full clean install. The hardware i have in my sig has no manufacturer specific drivers, it's all running fine. Maybe that's what you need to do?

If you have a spare hdd to test a reinstall on so you don't waste your time, try that.

There's a clean install guide stickied in the Win10 section here. If you try or go ahead and reinstall and if have multiple drives, disconnect all drives besides the destination drive to prevent Win10 putting boot loader elsewhere which it tends to do.

Jan 31, 2020
2 months later and i've resolved it. BSOD and crashing solved by redownloading ASUS ai suite II for my pc. Motherboard functions such as turbo boost must be tied to it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS