Choosing a new motherboard.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ace18

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
My current motherboard is an MSI G31M3-L with core 2 duo processor and 4 gig of ddr2. I'm upgrading my drive to a SSD and and was wanting to upgrade my mobo and memory. I am not a gamer so I don't need a supercomputer but I do want something quick at opening programs and folders with lots of pictures. Currently my PC takes about 10-20 seconds to open a folder with over 100 pictures in it.
What motherboard and processor would you guys recommend?
Only requirements I have is sata3 so I can get the most out of my new SSD.

Solution
Yes, however the ASUS EVO, would be a great motherboard for what you are using it for. It has room to overclock along with a 3.0 usb header for cases that support USB 3.0, and is also crossfire and SLI ready. Also it supports 1866 MHz ram, that is assuming you are going with AMD, for intel it would be a different story.

My Intel suggestion (i5 would have best performance):

If you are going to game with it i would suggest this process (its the best one with the best base GHz for the price, there is one that is the same speed that is more expensive but it's like 100.00 more), also i set you up with a better CPU cooler for your processor. I also recommend that you have at least 8gb of ram no matter what you are using it for, since it's a...