Question Choppy gameplay

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (no oc)
GPU: Gainward Ghost OC RTX 2060 Super (no oc)
PSU: Super Flower Leadex lll 650W
RAM: HyperX Predator 2x8GB 3200mhz
MOBO: MSI X570 Gaming Plus
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500
WIN 10:19041.867

So I've been continuously affected by this weird sort of choppy performance more or less in basically every game I play. I previously had an RX 5700, which had other issues too. Switching to the 2060 Super helped a lot, but flawless gameplay still remains as a distant dream.

Briefly, when playing Modern Warfare as an example, when my fps is matching my AOC displays 144hz refresh rate, everything is smooth as it should. Nonetheless, when I drop just a tiny bit under the aforementioned values, let's say 125/115/100 fps, it feels like my fps would be below 30 ....? Moving the mouse/screen is so disgusting and choppy it makes me want to switch off my pc every time. In addition, I'm forced to use "mouse smoothing" in every game I play. What could be causing this? I use V-Sync, because with "uncapped" fps the tearing is just too much. I have a feeling that this could be down to some issues with frametimes.

I've tried a lot of things to try and get on top of this annoyance, but can't seem to find a solution, all help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I would completely remove any AMD and NVIDIA drivers on your system using DDU and then reinstalling the latest NVIDIA driver. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

If still having problems after this then run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.

Finally don’t run V-Sync for a game like Modern Warefare, it introduces way too much lag. MW has its own FPS limiter from memory, set the maximum FPS to 140.

Reactions: Herr B

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
I appreciate the answer, but DDU is one of the most basic steps, so I've played with DDU a lot. I've tried about 9 different drivers on the Nvidia card alone. I did a completely fresh install of Windows after switching from AMD to Nvidia. I don't generally see any difference V-Sync on or off in MW. I play quite competitive and got no complaints. As mentioned earlier, without V-Sync I can't play the game. The FPS limiter + triple buffering on/off just keeps the "tearing"-behavior ongoing.

Nonetheless, this in-game capping method makes it more smooth when the FPS goes below the refresh rate of my monitor. Still, it makes the gameplay kinda "rough" and teary-like even @ 140 and the mouse movement feels off.....

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS