Jul 18, 2014
First and foremost. Specs:
AMD Ryzen 1700X 3.9Ghz OC
Asus Crosshair VI Hero 370X MB
16GB 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM
EVGA FTW3 Elite Gaming 1080ti
Seasonic 850W PSU
Samsung 850 Pro SSD (Windows 10)

PC never acted the way Im about to describe until after the new installation of Windows 10.

I recently did a clean wipe on my hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on my SSD.
Everything was running fine and then I opened OBS and things started acting like it was 5 fps. The mouse was so slow I had to wait for it to get to where I was trying to click it. Then it wouldn't let me click anything at all. With the resource monitor open, I see no spike in CPU activity or RAM usage when this happens. I thought it might have been a driver issue with the GPU and have since used the latest version of DDU to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and re-install the newest ones. I have not ran into the issue while gaming, so I am not thinking its the display drivers. I thought maybe it was just OBS, but then it happened again while opening Microsoft Edge. Then again with another program later. The computer will run top notch most the time and then every so often with the opening of a random app, it goes into limp mode. I don't know what else to do. I ran through some typical troubleshooting that Microsoft recommends like the /sfc scannow thorough command prompt, optimizing the drive using the disk defragment tool. I was really hoping to not have to do another wipe and fresh install of windows.

So I have another question about what could be causing this. I usually have this MB and CPU overclock set to 3.8Ghz. Recently put water on it about three months ago and I bumped it to 3.9Ghz. I have sat and played games for 3-4 hours and even streamed at the same time and never had an issue as I described above. The computer never locks up since placing it on 3.9Ghz while gaming or benchmarking using Cinebench 15 or 3D Mark. Now I am fairly newbish when it comes to overclocking. I was wondering that even though the computer runs games and streams without a hiccup, can the lag when opening apps come from the overclock? I was thinking about going back to what I had originally, but I wasn't sure that could be the problem. I was also thinking maybe it could be a voltage issue, but I wouldn't think the OS getting laggy when opening an app would have anything to do with Voltage. Again, I could be wrong being an OC newb. So if anyone has any ideas or experience with this issue, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I will try to respond when I can, but it'll most likely be after work around 5ish EST.

Typically any overclocking issues will show up running games, which are more resource intensive than just opening random windows apps. I would start by going online and downloading the very latest bios and chipset drivers for your motherboard. I know with my Strix board there were new bios versions available what seemed like every week for awhile and each one brought better performance and stability. That is the best place to start.

That would be the best place to start. I have overclocked nearly every processor I've had and have overclocked at least one of everything else for customers. Even with early, horribly unstable overclocks I've never had an issue logging into windows and launching basic apps. Usually you'll find instability when you start running benchmarks, gaming, and stress testing. You probably already did this but also make sure that your RAM is running at its rated clock speed. I've seen more than one Ryzen owner complain of strange or poor performance only to find that they never set the RAM speed to its rated settings and are running it at I believe 2400Mhz, which is a significant hit to a Ryzen based system that loves fast RAM.

CinciFan82

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
I have went in and changed the settings for my RAM. I'm running Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz ram. I went in and changed the profile to the 3200mhz profile and then changed the timings manually to what they are spec'd for. 16-17-17-17-38 I believe. I cant remember right off hand, but I did manually set them accordingly. The computer operates fine, but randomly it just has little freezes and then I'll get the what I call the "slow motion" thing happening. I know I read a while back that 3200mhz was not easy to achieve on the Ryzen boards, but that was of course when they first were released. I haven't seen much about it being difficult to hit this far after launch. I have some Crucial Ballistix 2400mhz RAM i could try if you're thinking RAM might be an issue as well.

I'm not sure with the X370 boards, but I know I have no issues running RAM at 3600Mhz with my X470 board. Don't change out your RAM, if there truly was a RAM issue then it would show up in gaming via random crashes to the desktop or full system restarts. It sounds like your RAM is fine.

Have you gone in lately and manually checked for Windows updates? I know that Windows is still working on its scheduler so it plays nicer with AMD. Right now Threadripper is having the biggest issues with Windows scheduler not playing nice with it. There may be an update that your missing though. I know that Microsoft has been trying to fix issues it knows it has with AMD arch.

CinciFan82

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
Ok, Im thinking it has something to do with the Display Drivers. I updated the Chipset via AMD website. Updated Windows til there was no more updates. So, I have found a scenario I can replicate every time which is making me think there is something up with my display drivers. I have 3 monitors. When I switch the center monitor from DisplayPort to HDMI and then open Microsoft Edge, it takes a minute or two to open and you can watch it frame for frame open up. Along with that, the computer goes into slow motion as I stated before. The minute I switch the monitor back to DisplayPort everything starts working as it should. I have reinstalled the drivers for my monitor. I tried reinstalling the display drivers once before, but I might try it again. Im not really sure what to do here.