Clarification needed on a few points

G

Firstly, happy christmas to one an all I hope you have a good one.

Secondly, the tech stuff, I am new to "DIY upgrades" and would like some clarification on the following points.

I have a brand new Athlon XP 1600+ obviously I need to plug this into my motherboard but before I power the whole thing up I want to check a few details as I have heard it is possible to blow a processor chip if you have the wrong FSB/Multiplier settings (and thats a costly mistake I dont want to make).

From what I can gather from the documentation provided with the mobo/chip (the OPN on the chip) it needs the following settings :

FSB Freq. - 266MHz
PCI Freq. - 33.3MHz
CPU External Freq. - 133.3MHz
Multiplier - 10.5x

The mobo I have is a Soltek SL-75KAV which has the options to "auto detect" the multiplier, or (by changing a dip) I can specify it manually.

So my questions are :
1) Are the multiplier/freq. settings described above correct?

2) Which is better (or doesnt it make any difference) to allow the mobo to auto detect or to set it manually.

Thanks in advance

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The specs are correct, the 1600+ is the model number or a relative performance rating with respect to the P4 processor. It says the processor will perform better than a 1.6 GHz (1600 MHz) P4, but run at 133x10.5 = 1400 MHz.

Yesm the FSB is physically 133 MHz, but its double pumped, a technology that makes data transfers twice each clock cycle effectively doubling the throughput hence called <b>D</b>ouble <b>D</b>ata <b>R</b>ate DDR266. This 133 MHz is the processor external frequency or the FSB.

The PCI frequency of 33.3 MHz is the traditional value the PCI devices are comfortable working at. Anything above that tends to disturb them, so while overclocking be careful not to raise them in excess of 40 MHz or so. It is derived from the FSB as FSB/4 for 133 MHz bus or FSB/3 for 100 MHz bus.

You need to unlock the processor first to be able to set the multiplier manually, there are too many guides (the THG site even has a video showing how to do it) that explain how to unlock the XP. So for now you have control over the FSB only. You can set it to 133 and beyond to experiment with overclocking, bear in mind every MHz you increase the processor internal speed increases by 10.5 MHz, and PCI frequency by 0.25 MHz. If you do it in excess, your board also has a PCI divider setting so that you can set it back to 33 MHz or thereabouts even with FSB settings in excess of 133 MHz.

So setting the divider on the board or BIOS wont have any effect, it will stay at 10.5!

Hope this helps, merry Christmas!!

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

svol

Champion
Leave the multiplierer to auto, you can only change the multiplierer of the XP if you 'unlocked' it.
The FSB is indeed twice the CPU external freq.

You only have to be sure that your external freq is set to 133 MHz (266) and that the PCI freq is 1/4 of your external CPU freq.

And Happy Christmas too.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
you know what?
you make a video of your cpu "blowing up" on start-up, and ill buy you a server, or an SGI computer.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The specs are correct, the 1600+ is the model number or a relative performance rating with respect to the P4 processor. It says the processor will perform better than a 1.6 GHz (1600 MHz) P4, but run at 133x10.5 = 1400 MHz.

No it isnt girish, it is the model number/ comparision to the origional tbird, NOT the p4.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

Well after all that care and attention to detail, I configured the board properly with the correct settings, I got it all connected up with the processer, etc etc etc. I powered up and BANG!!!!! the processor blew (unfortunatly I didnt get a video :-(((()

Went back to the supplier, turns out it was a faulty chip (apparently had problems with a batch of em) so now we have a brand new chip, same motherboard and, hmmmm, whats this, you look familar, ooohhh yes your square one aint ya.