newbee

As you know, the browser keeps track of the places you have visited on the
internet. How do you clear it of those places? I am using Internet Explorer
on the Windows XP Home Edition software.

To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.
-----

If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:2904D908-10DF-47DC-A1E8-4DE51958E5EB@microsoft.com,
Newbee <Newbee@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> As you know, the browser keeps track of the places you have visited
> on the internet. How do you clear it of those places? I am using
> Internet Explorer on the Windows XP Home Edition software.

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools > Internet Options > General tab >
Temporary Internet Files - Delete Files button > place a checkmark in
'Delete all offline content' > OK

Ted Zieglar

"Newbee" <Newbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As you know, the browser keeps track of the places you have visited on the
> internet. How do you clear it of those places? I am using Internet
> Explorer
> on the Windows XP Home Edition software.

jean

Does this also get rid of the history of searches? I know I can turn off
the autocomplete, but it is easily turned back on.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...
>
> 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
> Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
> Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
> Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
> if there are a large number of files.
> 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
> 3) Check the box Â? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
> and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
> C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO
> 4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
> temporary internet files
> 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
> websites have placed on your hard drive.
> -----
>
> If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
> scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
> when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
> want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
> C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.
>
> Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
> pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:2904D908-10DF-47DC-A1E8-4DE51958E5EB@microsoft.com,
> Newbee <Newbee@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > As you know, the browser keeps track of the places you have visited
> > on the internet. How do you clear it of those places? I am using
> > Internet Explorer on the Windows XP Home Edition software.

No. Unless History is set to 0 days.

Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to
keep pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.

Otherwise...

To delete Autocomplete entries from the Address bar list

[[The AutoComplete feature saves previous entries you've made for Web
addresses, forms, and passwords. To delete entries from the Address bar, you
must clear your History folder. You cannot clear individual entries from the
list of saved entries.

1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
2. Click the General tab.
3. Under History, click Clear History.

Notes
When typing information in Web forms, and typing passwords, you can remove
an item from the list of suggestions by clicking the item and then pressing
the DELETE key. ]]

Also...

Clear IE History, AutoComplete, Clear the TIF, Clear the Run MRU, Typed
URL's
and Clear List:

XP Start Menu:
Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button | Advanced tab
| Recent Documents | Clear List.

Classic Start Menu:
Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button | Clear button

Clear button
[[Removes the list of recently accessed documents, programs, and Web sites
from the Documents menu.]]
--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:49574989-A2CD-496A-A882-3A6E09A326E6@microsoft.com,
Jean <Jean@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

"Jean" <Jean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does this also get rid of the history of searches? I know I can
> turn off the autocomplete, but it is easily turned back on.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...
>>
>> 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
>> Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
>> Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
>> Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed.
>> Especially if there are a large number of files.
>> 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete
>> Files 3) Check the box Â? Delete all offline content {This cleans
>> Internet Files AND C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local
>> Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO
>> 4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it
>> deletes the temporary internet files
>> 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete
>> cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.
>> -----
>>
>> If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options |
>> Advanced tab | scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary
>> Internet Files folder when browser is closed | click Apply | OK.
>> Entirely up to you, but if you want to be rid of this, it is done
>> automatically. Deletes the content of C:\Documents and
>> Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files but
>> not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.
>>
>> Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to
>> keep pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:2904D908-10DF-47DC-A1E8-4DE51958E5EB@microsoft.com,
>> Newbee <Newbee@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> As you know, the browser keeps track of the places you have visited
>>> on the internet. How do you clear it of those places? I am using
>>> Internet Explorer on the Windows XP Home Edition software.

Tools | Internet Options | Content | AutoComplete | Clear Forms

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com