[SOLVED] Clean Install Win10 from Usb Stuck at Getting Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2019
Hi, guys
I have an odd problem trying clean install win10. Been trying for 6x times and it is either stuck at getting ready or stuck in endless winlogo loop.
++++++++++
Mobo: GA B85M DS3H A
Processor: Intel i3-4150 C
HDD: WDC WD5000AAKS
+++++++++
Before me attempting to clean install it was already using win10 for 5yrs or so, no problem. After the latest win update I was having problem booting and resetting doesn't help that's why I decided to do a clean install.
This is the steps that I took:
  1. Prepared usb using rufus in mbr format
  2. Used diskpart to delete old partitions (somehow I couldn't delete them using win installeri, delete option was in gray)
  3. Converted disk to mbr (because boot storage option on bios set to legacy only by default)
  4. Installed win 10, after it's done installing & autoreboot that's when the issue occurs. Oh, installing took 6hrs or more to finish btw which is I know odd already.
Please help I'm already at my wit's end...I can provide more info if you need. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
it sounds like your HDD is dying, and the installer is hitting a part of the drive that is bad (and why it took over 6h to install, SATA timeouts I suspect)... On a side note I have used Rufus since win10 was released, it's the best way to create the ISO USB and you can actually select between legacy MBR/NTFS or for newer UEFI installs using GPT/Fat32 (while the MS tool offers no choice whatsoever).

Anyway, if you are willing to boot up linux to test, try ubuntu in live mode and you can do something like this to test the drive - How to check for bad sectors Ubuntu (Linux)

Luckily SSDs are pretty cheap these days :)
D

Deleted member 14196

You’re not doing this right don’t use Rüfüs use Microsoft own tool to create the USB and also you don’t need to use diskpart either. the windows installer can delete all the partitions for you during install. Best to follow the guide posted on toms guides

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Mar 20, 2019
You’re not doing this right don’t use Rüfüs use Microsoft own tool to create the USB and also you don’t need to use diskpart either. the windows installer can delete all the partitions for you during install. Best to follow the guide posted on toms guides
Ok, I'll try it tonight, hopefully it'll solve my problem. I'll update when it's done. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019
Update:
Followed Mandark suggestion & I also used the latest build of win10 (1809) incase my old iso is the problem but didn't help at all...I woke up to the same problem, stuck at getting ready again :(

Could wrong partition style be the culprit? I forgot to check what the first partition on my HDD (the one working with win10 before I performed clean installation) was and assumed it was mbr by looking at the boot storage option in BIOS.

it sounds like your HDD is dying, and the installer is hitting a part of the drive that is bad (and why it took over 6h to install, SATA timeouts I suspect)... On a side note I have used Rufus since win10 was released, it's the best way to create the ISO USB and you can actually select between legacy MBR/NTFS or for newer UEFI installs using GPT/Fat32 (while the MS tool offers no choice whatsoever).

Anyway, if you are willing to boot up linux to test, try ubuntu in live mode and you can do something like this to test the drive - How to check for bad sectors Ubuntu (Linux)

Reactions: Jonas Taelman
Solution
Mar 20, 2019

Thanks for the suggestion, I think you're 99% right. I ended up performing health diagnostic on the problematic hdd using WD diagnostic tool and it stuck right away when I ran the quick test--bad news I thought.

So to avoid further headache, decided to just unplugged it & plugged in an unused hdd from my bro's pc. Reinstalling win10 finished in just less than 15mins and everything worked perfectly, I'm crying in joy right now :tearsofjoy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS