Cleaning cpu air cooler

paul1th

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Have a Cooler Master hyper 212+ and was cleaning dust out of Coolermaster Scout case. Found a layer of dust built up on the hyper 212+ between the fan of the cooler and the aluminum fins if the cooler itself. Getting rid of that layer was difficult. Compressed air just moved the dust a lillte away from the fins. Then used Q-tips and alchohol to reach down inbetween the fins and the attached fan. Don't think I got all the dust out either. Wondering what other, better informeded people do to remove and/or prevent dust build up.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I have the same cooler and every 4 or 5 months i completely remove and clean the cooler. You dont even have to do this. The fans are attached with clips. Simply pry off the clips, remove the fans, and clean away. Although if you take it out you can run in under water to get everything out.

HSF fins to wash chart, I do it simply by soaking in a tub filled with small in liquid detergent for 15 minutes, then I still flush with the faucet. to dry with
a compressor or sprayed or hairdryer in the wind and let stand until it is completely dry, do not let a drop of water would be dangerous, but my trick in above will of course differ from other users, just sharing

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Agreed with henydiah. If it's really stuck in there, use water. Hose the thing off, stick it in the dishwasher or whatever, just remove the fans before you do. It cannot damage from water, but you have to ensure that it's dry before reinstalling (reason I love the dishwasher). Thus, hot water is a wonderous worker.

On that note, I have filters in my case taking care of most of the dust. Take an old pair of pantyhose (your girlfriend's, taking your sister's or mother's would simply be creepy) and cut it up before sticking it between the case and the fan. It works way more than you can possibly imagine, and may prolong the time spent between cleanups from 3~4 months to up to a year (I talk from experience).