Question Cloned HDD to SSD but can't see documents files on SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 8, 2022
Sorry - this is probably a "beginner's" issue, and after searching various potential answers, I thought it best to post a question in this forum. And I tried checking out other posts on this forum, but the issues/answers didn't appear to directly address my issue(s).

Have a new Samsung 870 EVO SSD - cloned HDD using Samsung's Data Migration tool and have Samsung's Magician software installed and running. Appears to have cloned all the files based on drive size, but I can't find any of the documents from the old drive.

Searched the various files on the SSD, but can't find/see the documents. Probably not looking in the right place/folder set.

If I attach the old HDD (D:/), I can see and access all of the documents (MS files - Word, Excel, PDFs, etc. and others - no problem). I thought I might be able to copy over the documents folders to the new SSD (F:/) (tried copying to default folder and Documents), but I receive error messages that the files can't be saved on the F: drive. Might be because the files already exist and they won't overlay(??) - doesn't show a "Permissions" error.

Also tried to redirect the "Documents" folder from its default location (C:/) to the F:/ drive, but was unsure that would work properly so canceled.

So I can probably just take the 'easy' way out and copy the documents from the old HDD to a thumb drive and access from there, but I'd much rather be able to access them on the primary SSD.

Any thoughts, or additional information/screenshots needed, please let me know. As I said, probably a beginner's issue, but any help appreciated.

Thanks.

May 8, 2022
The now removed HDD....make model?
Should be readily available.

And the only drive supposedly in this system is a 2TB 870 EVO?
Because your Disk Management shows the system is booting from a 250GB Disk 1.

Original HDD is a Seagate Mobile HDD Model SDC003 2TB

Yes, the only drive is the 2TB 870 EVO that I know of. And I have no idea where the 250 GB Disk 1 might be.

Could it be that this model had a secondary HDD to supplement it's memory? If that's the case, I'll need to shut it down and open the back again to see if I can see something else, but again, I'm not familiar with the inner workings other than the basics (I've replaced the internal batteries - main and BIOS ) - and now the HDD, but other than that, I'm a complete novice.

I can see if I can find the original configuration sheet from Dell to see if for some reason there is a separate C: drive, but that may be more difficult because all my old records are on the old HDD. I'll plug it back in to see if I can find the documentation.

Tried. Couldn't find the documentation. Guess I'll have to pull the back off and see if I can tell if there's a primary C: drive. I'll post an answer probably tomorrow when I have time to do that (Mother's Day dinner now).

Thanks for the comments so far.

May 8, 2022
The now removed HDD....make model?
Should be readily available.

And the only drive supposedly in this system is a 2TB 870 EVO?
Because your Disk Management shows the system is booting from a 250GB Disk 1.

Okay, I'm back. Work delayed my chance to do what was needed. Took the back off and removed the 870 EVO SSD. Rebooted and it shows the C:/ drive with the OS.

This is a screenshot of the Disk Management page after I rebooted.

View: https://imgur.com/7tVTzIh

Removed the battery (and CD-ROM drive) to get the best picture of the interior which I'll post next.

View: https://imgur.com/a/XuzDXc5

Did more research from what I could see and it's obvious this laptop has an SSD Primary drive for the C:/ drive. You can see it in the picture. It's a SK hynix sc311 sata 256gb. That's the drive that has been causing warning notices about being nearly full and needing to delete some files, etc., and one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade to the 870 EVO (not knowing the laptop already had the SSD as its primary drive).

Didn't realize that at first until I started taking it apart, and didn't have the laptop's configuration details.

So now my issue is how to deal with the C: drive capacity issue(s), and effectively use the available secondary drive(s). Remember, I am a relative "beginner" in this technical world so primary advice is probably best.

Guessing from what I can see, I apparently cloned the C: drive based on the files and file sizes and that's the reason I couldn't see the documents I was originally concerned about as they're obviously on the HDD I removed to replace with the 870 EVO SSD. (As you'll recall from the previous posts, when I plug in the former secondary HDD drive, I can see and access my documents.)

Is it possible and/or should I consider redirecting the C: drive to the new SSD (the 870 EVO) to use that instead of the existing SSD or is that going to just create more problems?

Or is it as easy as moving the User files off the C: drive to the secondary drive and deleting them from the C: drive using File Explorer or another file migration tool to make more space available - or will that, too, possibly just create more problems?

I am just unsure and not experienced enough to know what to do, so it's a tad scary and I don't want to lose my data, etc. (although it's all backed up using Carbonite).

And if it makes sense and if it's the cause of the capacity issues, I want to make sure that future data/documents and the like are directed not to the C: drive but to the higher capacity secondary drive if it will work more effectively.

It appears the capacity issue is that the C: drive under Users has two folders with about 43 to 45 GBs of data that I have to assume can be better managed, and leave the C: drive for more critical OS functions (??).

Don't know if this will help. but here are screen shots of the Properties information when I go to the C: drive / Users for the 2 folders with all the data:

View: https://imgur.com/dgESu2b

View: https://imgur.com/yEAeIGW

Any additional information needed, please let me know. Any help/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, so you have a 250GB drive, 99% full (not good).
That is currently the only drive in it.

2 options:
  1. Move some stuff off the 250GB SK Hynix. Leave that as the OS drive.
  2. Clone everything to the 2TB 870.

Either way works. We can work through doing either.
But it needs to be done properly. Get it wrong, and tears will result.

As I understand it, this machine came from the factory with 2 hard drives...a 250 GB SSD and a 2 TB spinner.

Is that correct?

If you "clone everything" to the new 2 TB SSD, the new 2 TB would presumably have plenty of space for ALL personal data of all users, as well as Windows and all applications.

You would then have an empty drive bay....where the 2 TB spinner once was.

Do you intend to re-use that drive bay and that 2 TB spinning drive? Or leave it unused/empty?

I would think you could use the old spinner for a backup of any or all of whatever is on the new 2 TB SSD. And possibly use an external for additional backup.

May 8, 2022
Ok, so you have a 250GB drive, 99% full (not good).
That is currently the only drive in it.

2 options:
  1. Move some stuff off the 250GB SK Hynix. Leave that as the OS drive.
  2. Clone everything to the 2TB 870.
Either way works. We can work through doing either.
But it needs to be done properly. Get it wrong, and tears will result.

Yep, Want to avoid the tears, if at all possible.

I think the (maybe?) the easiest might be to clone everything to the 2TB 870 as I'm not certain what stuff I could move off the 250GB SK Hynix might do to the systems operations. But then I have to assume I'd have to remove the SK Hynix and leave it as an empty bay?

I'm pretty much open to whatever would be the safest option.

USAFRet

Titan
Yep, Want to avoid the tears, if at all possible.

I think the (maybe?) the easiest might be to clone everything to the 2TB 870 as I'm not certain what stuff I could move off the 250GB SK Hynix might do to the systems operations. But then I have to assume I'd have to remove the SK Hynix and leave it as an empty bay?

I'm pretty much open to whatever would be the safest option.
This laptop can have both the current 250GB SK and the 870 EVO connected at the same time?

May 8, 2022
As I understand it, this machine came from the factory with 2 hard drives...a 250 GB SSD and a 2 TB spinner.

Is that correct?

If you "clone everything" to the new 2 TB SSD, the new 2 TB would presumably have plenty of space for ALL personal data of all users, as well as Windows and all applications.

You would then have an empty drive bay....where the 2 TB spinner once was.

Do you intend to re-use that drive bay and that 2 TB spinning drive? Or leave it unused/empty?

I would think you could use the old spinner for a backup of any or all of whatever is on the new 2 TB SSD. And possibly use an external for additional backup.

Yes, it came with two hard drives - one the SSD that the C: drive sits on, and a 2 TB spinner. The spinner's bay is the one I wanted to replace with the new 870 EVO SSD. So that bay would obviously be occupied and the spinner gone. The 250GB SSD is a card and is still in the laptop at least for the moment until I know what to do with it. The old spinner at the moment is serving as a backup until I know what to do with the files that are on it.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, it came with two hard drives - one the SSD that the C: drive sits on, and a 2 TB spinner. The spinner's bay is the one I wanted to replace with the new 870 EVO SSD. So that bay would obviously be occupied and the spinner gone. The 250GB SSD is a card and is still in the laptop at least for the moment until I know what to do with it. The old spinner at the moment is serving as a backup until I know what to do with the files that are on it.
OK

Clone everything from the 250GB to the 2TB 870.

Some prep first:
  1. You need to free up some space on the 250GB, to allow the installation of a cloning tool. Samsung Magician or Macrium Reflect.
  2. Anything currently on the 870 that you wish to keep needs to be moved elsewhere. This clone operation WILL wipe out everything that currently exists.

When you're ready, let me know.

May 8, 2022
OK

Clone everything from the 250GB to the 2TB 870.

Some prep first:
  1. You need to free up some space on the 250GB, to allow the installation of a cloning tool. Samsung Magician or Macrium Reflect.
  2. Anything currently on the 870 that you wish to keep needs to be moved elsewhere. This clone operation WILL wipe out everything that currently exists.
When you're ready, let me know.

I have the Samsung Magician software and the Samsung Data Migration tool already installed on the laptop - the Data Migration tool is what I used to clone the C:/ drive initially when I started dealing with this whole thing.

There shouldn't be anything on the 870 that I need as it has only existed as a clone to the 250GB SSD so far.

And I'm ready as soon as you are. Should I reinstall the 870 in the laptop first? Or use the USB to SATA SSD Cable to connect to it? (Or does it make a difference?)

USAFRet

Titan
oops, I meant the Data migration.
Anyway....

Install the 870 into the laptop.
Then, just like this:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, you may need to install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Remove the SK Hynix. This is not optional.

Put the 870 into the same place and connection as the old drive.

This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the 870 EVO

Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

May 8, 2022
oops, I meant the Data migration.
Anyway....

Install the 870 into the laptop.
Then, just like this:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, you may need to install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Remove the SK Hynix. This is not optional.

Put the 870 into the same place and connection as the old drive.

This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the 870 EVO

Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Okay. Thanks. Obviously I'll be offline for awhile, but I'll come back and let you know how it goes.

One question before I go - you mentioned "Put the 870 into the same place and connection as the old drive." That would be impossible to do as the 250GB SK Hynix is a card while the 870 EVO is not a card and is installed in the same bay as the "old" spinner HDD. Will that cause an issue or will the system automatically look for the C: drive to be on the new 870?

You have referenced some actions that I'm not familiar with but may be able to figure out - like the partition properties, manipulating the partition sizes, and the command line disk part function, etc. - that hopefully won't be an issue. If they are, I suppose I'll be back looking for more help.

But thanks again for the advice. I probably won't connect the old SK Hynix card into its slot unless I feel much more comfortable about how to use the clean command, etc.

May 8, 2022
Ah...OK.
Anyway, remove the SK Hynix at the appointed moment.
You want ONLY the 870 EVO connected when you boot up for the first time.

The partition thing should not be an issue when using the Samsung Data Migration.

Perfect. Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

May 8, 2022
Worked like a charm. :giggle:

Thanks again for your help. Greatly appreciated. Probably consider using the SK Hynix at some point, but only if I'm feeling very certain of myself about how to erase the data properly and not cause issues.

All the best. .... Jim

Worked like a charm. :giggle:

Thanks again for your help. Greatly appreciated. Probably consider using the SK Hynix at some point, but only if I'm feeling very certain of myself about how to erase the data properly and not cause issues.

All the best. .... Jim

If you have nowhere to put it inside the case, you could buy an external enclosure for 20 or 25 bucks and use it in the same way you'd use a USB flash drive....the enclosure would attach to a USB port via a supplied cable perhaps a foot long. It should likely be faster than your average USB flash drive. Use it to back up certain files of your choice or to move files from one PC to another. Or eBay it.

May 8, 2022
If you have nowhere to put it inside the case, you could buy an external enclosure for 20 or 25 bucks and use it in the same way you'd use a USB flash drive....the enclosure would attach to a USB port via a supplied cable perhaps a foot long. It should likely be faster than your average USB flash drive. Use it to back up certain files of your choice or to move files from one PC to another. Or eBay it.

Thanks for the suggestion Lafong. I'll look for an external enclosure and use it that way. Better than haing it tucked away somewhere unused or dealing with eBay.