Jan 13, 2022
Hi,

Recently I decided to upgrade my SSD in my HP Pavillion from 256gb built in samsung SSD, to 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus.
First, I attempted to clone the disc using samsungs data migration software, however, it appeared this was not going to work as the tool is greyed out and will not allow me to select drive/volume etc, when refreshed the tool appears responsive for half a second before greying out again.

I then opted for AOMEI backupper, and appeared the the disc had cloned successfully.
Once the SSD was installed, I started the laptop only to be met by the HP boot loop. The laptop would continue restarting and failing to boot.
I checked the BIOS, just to ensure everything was as it should be and found all options were as should. UEFI boot mode, new SSD displaying with Windows boot manager, legacy support disabled etc.

I have been searching for an answer for a couple of days now, having tried to re-clone around 4 times in total. If it wasn't already apparent from my question, I am still quite a newbie with hardware components, so any help is greatly appreciated for either of the following points.

1) Why is samsung data migration not allowing me to select source drive and even start cloning?

2) Why is the cloned SSD (using AOMEI Backupper and Partition assistant) not booting?

Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
<Moved to Storage>

After the clone process, no matter which tool, the first thing you MUST do is power off, physically disconnect the old drive, and power up with only the new drive.

What is the make/model of the original 256GBdrive?
How many M.2 ports does this laptop have?

Jan 13, 2022
<Moved to Storage>

After the clone process, no matter which tool, the first thing you MUST do is power off, physically disconnect the old drive, and power up with only the new drive.

What is the make/model of the original 256GBdrive?
How many M.2 ports does this laptop have?

Thanks for your reply.

I followed the steps you mentioned. The original drive was SAMSUNG MZLNL256HAJQ(Quoting from data-migration tool).

The laptop has one M.2 port, I was cloning to the SSD via a usb C cable connected to SSD enclosure.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for your reply.

I followed the steps you mentioned. The original drive was SAMSUNG MZLNL256HAJQ(Quoting from data-migration tool).

The laptop has one M.2 port, I was cloning to the SSD via a usb C cable connected to SSD enclosure.
And that is why the Samsung Data Migration tool failed.
It does NOT clone into an external drive, no matter what type or make.

Do you have some other external drive with about 200GB free space?
If so, we can do this differently.

Jan 13, 2022
And that is why the Samsung Data Migration tool failed.
It does NOT clone into an external drive, no matter what type or make.

Do you have some other external drive with about 200GB free space?
If so, we can do this differently.

I was following this tutorial, exactly how he does it, with an external drive
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=444mLIGNeSI
. So unsure why my case is any different?

The samsung data migration tool didn't fail, it wont even give me the option to start. I did manage to clone successfully (or so it atleast appeared) with AOMEI backupper.

Thanks again

USAFRet

Titan
Here is how I migrate with only 1x M.2 port...

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Restore (on the toolbar), and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

Thanks for your reply.

You seem to have a one of a kind m.2.

Is the orig m.2 a sata disk?
If so it may not have the nvme drivers so when you clone to a nvme disk and try to boot from the nvme disk it will fail.