[SOLVED] Cloned Windows 10 SSD needs Windows repair ?

Jul 3, 2021
I'm trying to upgrade to a 1TB SSD. I cloned my 256G SSD and set my Bios to boot from it. My Lenovo Yoga 710 boots to a screen titled "Preparing Windows Repair" then "Choose an option: Continue, Use a device, Troubleshoot, Turn off your PC." I hit "Continue" and it returns to, "Preparing Windows Repair"

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
I'm trying to upgrade to a 1TB SSD. I cloned my 256G SSD and told my Bios to boot from it. My Lenovo Yoga 710 boots to a screen titled "Preparing Windows Repair"
First boot from cloned drive has to be done with old drive disconnected. This is important step.
If you have failed to do so, then re-clone.
If you haven't used it, use Macrium Reflect free to clone but first make Rescue USB from MR which has option to "Fix BOOT problems" when booted from it. Do it with old disk disconnected. After that you can connect old drive and clean it if you want to.

Jul 3, 2021
If you haven't used it, use Macrium Reflect free to clone but first make Rescue USB from MR which has option to "Fix BOOT problems" when booted from it. Do it with old disk disconnected. After that you can connect old drive and clean it if you want to.

Thank you for your help so far.

I did what you said. This time, before the "Choose an option" screen, it said, "Your PC did not start correctly" and it gave me the option to restart or go to Advanced options. Restarting didn't help and Advanced options took me to the "Choose an option screen."

Then I plugged in the Rescue USB and told the Bios to boot from it. It took me to a screen to repair Windows boot. I did and then restarted.

Now the screen says, "Recovery. Your PC couldn't start properly. After multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it must be repaired."

USAFRet

Titan
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done

This part is not optional...you must do this.

When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Jul 3, 2021
Did you perform cloning again?
Did you remove old drive for first boot from new cloned drive?
Yes, I did all those things first.

Jul 3, 2021
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done

This part is not optional...you must do this.

When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
Why is it necessary for me to keep the new SSD connected while the laptop is powered down? It's not easy for me to turn the laptop over to remove the old SSD with the new SSD connected via USB. Could this be our problem?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Why is it necessary for me to keep the SSD connected while the laptop is powered down? It's not easy for me to turn the laptop over to remove the old SSD with the new SSD connected via USB. Could this be our problem?
?

Clone from old to new. This obviously requires the two drives to be connected.
When done, power OFF
Physically disconnect the old drive, put the new drive in, and allow the system to try to boot up with only the new one connected.

Jul 3, 2021
What are the specs of this system?
What specific drives are involved?

Start over.
Return the system back to original working condition, before the new drive.
Does it boot properly?
YOGA 710-151KB Signature Edition
Intel Core i5-7200U @ 2.50 GHz 2.70 GHz
16.0 GB RAM
64 bit OS
Windows 10 Pro

C: drive only

It boots fine when I reinstall the old SSD.

P.S. I edited my question. Why is it necessary for me to keep the NEW SSD connected while the laptop is powered down?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
YOGA 710-151KB Signature Edition
Intel Core i5-7200U @ 2.50 GHz 2.70 GHz
16.0 GB RAM
64 bit OS
Windows 10 Pro

C: drive only

It boots fine when I reinstall the old SSD.

P.S. I edited my question. Why is it necessary for me to keep the OLD SSD connected while the laptop is powered down?
Not sure where you go that from.

After the clone operation finishes, power OFF.
Physically disconnect or remove the old drive.
Power UP, and let it boot from only the new drive.

Jul 3, 2021
The new SSD is a Samsung, so I downloaded and used Samsung Data Migration as recommended. When it finished, it shut down the laptop. I turned the laptop over to disconnect the old SSD, careful to "Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD"

When it started up, I get the same Recovery screen as before, "Enter to try again, F1 to enter Recovery environment, F8 for Startup Settings, Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings"

I hit Esc to swap boot order. My options were, "Windows Boot Manager (SSK)" and "EFI USB Device (SSK)" Neither one helped.

Which one should it be?

BTW Thanks to everyone trying to help over July 4th weekend.

USAFRet

Titan
The new SSD is a Samsung, so I downloaded and used Samsung Data Migration as recommended. When it finished, it shut down the laptop. I turned the laptop over to disconnect the old SSD, careful to "Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD"

When it started up, I get the same Recovery screen as before, "Enter to try again, F1 to enter Recovery environment, F8 for Startup Settings, Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings"

I hit Esc to swap boot order. My options were, "Windows Boot Manager (SSK)" and "EFI USB Device (SSK)" Neither one helped.

Which one should it be?

BTW Thanks to everyone trying to help over July 4th weekend.
"Windows Boot Manager"

Jul 3, 2021
New problem: I used Disk Genius, which has a default option to "Set target disk to boot system via USB. "

I took out the old SSD while the new SSD is connected via USB. The computer now boots up just fine. However, when I put the new SSD in the motherboard, I can't boot up. It tells me to hit F2 to select a boot target but it gives me no targets to select.

Any way I can set the new SSD to boot without USB?

USAFRet

Titan
New problem: I used Disk Genius, which has a default option to "Set target disk to boot system via USB. "

I took out the old SSD while the new SSD is connected via USB. The computer now boots up just fine. However, when I put the new SSD in the motherboard, I can't boot up. It tells me to hit F2 to select a boot target but it gives me no targets to select.

Any way I can set the new SSD to boot without USB?
I have no idea what Disk Genius is or does.

Cloning, while often a good procedure, is NOT 100% foolproof.
Often, when it fails, it fails...with no way to make it work.

So, try it one more time.

What specific drives are involved, and how are they connected?

Jul 3, 2021
Please show screenshot from Disk Management,
when booted from old drive with both drives connected. This is to check your cloning result, if it is done properly.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
https://
Please show screenshot from Disk Management,
when booted from old drive with both drives connected. This is to check your cloning result, if it is done properly.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
View: https://imgur.com/9X5b2KQ

Jul 3, 2021
Looking at my new SSD, it's NVME and the old one is SATA. According to the Lenovo forum, that's a problem. It's back to the store for me.

EDIT: That was the problem. It's up and running now. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited: