Cloud-Gaming Service Set for Thursday Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]and you only need 2 Fios lines to use it. Also if you shoot it takes 3 second to hit the target. So basically it will be really cool dodgeball. or laggy C.O.D. Take your pic[/citation]

Yea I can't see this becoming practical until FIOS is a commonplace.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Is it me, or is there little icon an optical illusion. The ribbon doesn't end up on the same side if you follow it from the top.

Also, for $5 you can play all those games per month?

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
and you only need 2 Fios lines to use it. Also if you shoot it takes 3 second to hit the target. So basically it will be really cool dodgeball. or laggy C.O.D. Take your pic

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I actually want to try this out but it seems like I won't get in. hehe.. Only thing I wish they would do is let you use your steam account. Then I don't have to re-buy games I already own..

cekasone

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I honestly don't know what to say about this. It's good in a way that people without gaming rigs can play games. But then again, anyone with a part time job can afford to build a decent machine to play all the above titles. I dunno about some people, but i actually like to hear the roar of my 3way SLI GTX260's while playing Just Cause 2.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Its amazing people/companies still see this as a possible revenue generator, and a feasible product model.
Do they not realize the lag times will be horrible, graphics will be subpar, an overall bad customer experience?

Just because your running the cloud on say a OC-98 backbone, doesn't mean smooth game play for the end user that's on a 1.5mb DSL line that takes 30 seconds to buffer a youtube video.
what about lag spikes? or the dreaded internet video artifacts that lag/buffering causes.

and wait until the ISP bandwidth police start popping up for more people than they do now, locking their users for going over 10/100/etc Gigs of bandwidth a month used to stream a game at 1080p to their machine 8 hours a day.\

I cannot believe someone is actually thinking the "your basically streaming a 'movie' of the game your playing to your machine" as a good business model.

maybe one day, in the future..but not today, with ISP hard caps, speed limits, lag issues..etc

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]Is it me, or is there little icon an optical illusion. The ribbon doesn't end up on the same side if you follow it from the top.[/citation]

It's you... lay the crack pipe on the ground and step back! :)

jimslaid2

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]and you only need 2 Fios lines to use it. Also if you shoot it takes 3 second to hit the target. So basically it will be really cool dodgeball. or laggy C.O.D. Take your pic[/citation]

What are you talking about? You don't even have a clue. Don't make false statements.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Until all the lag issues etc can somehow be fixed, I see this only as an interesting way to try out games, like they could give you a couple of hours worth of play for the new releases for $10 a month or something like that

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]Is it me, or is there little icon an optical illusion. The ribbon doesn't end up on the same side if you follow it from the top.citation]
Yes. M. C. Escher did something like this with ants walking on some sort of ribbon. If you take a ribbon, twist one end 180 degrees then connect it to the other end of the ribbon, you can create this object.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]Is it me, or is there little icon an optical illusion. The ribbon doesn't end up on the same side if you follow it from the top.[/citation]
Yes. M. C. Escher did something like this with ants walking on some sort of ribbon. If you take a ribbon, twist one end 180 degrees then connect it to the other end of the ribbon, you can create this object.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]jimslaid2[/nom]What are you talking about? You don't even have a clue. Don't make false statements.[/citation]

How dont I have a clue. You are going to tell me that they are going to stream at least 480p over general broadband with no buffering. So you can set at home and play the game on a contoller with no lag? The 360 cant even do that without streaming the video. So yes you will need serious bandwidth. You dont have a clue. You Fail.

G

Cloud is the future of computing and gaming - accept it and move on. The days of having expensive local hardware and thick client software are numbered - it is inevitable to move away from client based computing, only a matter of time, it is a losing battle for PCs

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]Is it me, or is there little icon an optical illusion. The ribbon doesn't end up on the same side if you follow it from the top.Also, for $5 you can play all those games per month?[/citation]

No 5 bucks gets you access to play those games..you then have to buy those games. So if you stop paying the 5 bucks per month you lose access to the games you buy. the upside to this is you just need a computer capable of streaming HD content so no need to spend oodles of money upgrading your pc every 2-3 years to keep up with game requirements.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I believe that they could implement something like this where they could stream a game over the internet, and I actually think that this is the future of the consoles...but internet is just not fast enough and I can't see any way of making this lag-free unless you're okay with gaming at a measly 640x480 resolution...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Jerky_san[/nom]I actually want to try this out but it seems like I won't get in. hehe.. Only thing I wish they would do is let you use your steam account. Then I don't have to re-buy games I already own..[/citation]
If this becomes poular, I imagine Steam will have a Cloud variant coming shortly thereafter.
hmmm....
Steam Cloud? Sounds dangerous...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]logan87[/nom]Unfortunately, it will only be via the browser plug-in at standard definition right now[/citation]
Please make it Flash plugin, just to piss off the Apple people

logan87

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I'm pretty excited to try this out, see how it works. Unfortunately, it will only be via the browser plug-in at standard definition right now.

I signed up early and got the 1 year free plus a free game. Just wish the HD and console was coming out right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.