CMOS Setting Error

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hp-p00nst3r

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Every time I turn on my computer, I get two short beeps and according to my mobo manual it represents the "CMOS Setting Error". My computer boots up fine anyway, but there has been times where the computer didn't. I've tried setting my BIOS to optimized settings, but that didn't do anything.

Specs:
P55 UD3 Rev 1.0
XFX Radeon HD 5770
2x WD 600 GB HD RAID 0
GSKILL Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CL7-7-7-21 1.5V

devt333

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Yes. If you hear beep from something that isn't supposed to produce sounds (Vregs?), that means it is doing something weird, or it's receiving audible frequency instead of what it needs. Definitely a case for BIOS flash in my book.

With these BIOS updates the thing is, it used to be true that no update is needed unless something is broken. But with everyone being so hyper about updating their BIOS warranted or not, the manufacturers are now counting on you updating the BIOS, so they are not generally selling the full working product, which makes for faster delivery, with full worked-out bug testing somewhere in the future.

devt333

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
You gotta find the source of these beeps. I am curious.

If I remember correctly, you have beeps coming after you connect the sony dvd drive?

I just checked on google for "DRU870S beep" and nothing shows up. It may do some higher pitched grinding sound when checking for a disk, but so does floppy, and the onomatopoeia for those would usually be "click", not "beep".

bilbat

Splendid
Most reports I have seen describe it as a 'screeching' noise... I just assumed the PWM frequency for the MOSFET start-up was passing thriugh the audible range at startup - used to hear PWM motors 'whine' all the time, 'till they got the frequencies up...

airwalk00

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I am having the same issues with 2 beeps, but I am getting no monitor, mouse or keyboard functions so the best I can do is clear the CMOS and remove the battery. Nothing seems to be working.