COD4 and overclocking?

chiptouz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Alright here is the deal. I am so surprised this is happening.

I have an XFX alpha dog 8800gt extreme vid card stock it is (640, 1650, 950). I tried a modest but not overbearing oc at (700, 1750, 2000). Also, it is not in my sig yet, but I added a thermalright HR-03GT cooling system to the card. BTW- I love it I dropped 30^c on idle and 35^c on load. It really is awesome, but I digress.

So I load all my over games, Unreal3, Crysis, WIC, COH Bioshock and no problem on the OC. Play COD4 and I get hesitations and when I ecit the game I see error messages stating that the video driver stopped working and it restarted. I am using vista 64 bit home premium. In XP the OS would just crash. So, I remove the OC and no problems.....

I know heat is not a problem at all. This sucka is as cool as a.......

Any ideas?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
You do have the latest drivers and patches, correct? Perhaps tweak the in game settings and the settings from the nvidia control panel.

If that doesn't do it, do a fresh install of the game, running a cleaning program like CCleaner after uninstalling the game.

Finally, since removing the OC removes the issue, it could be the unstable OC. That OC could work well with other games but not COD4. Grab ATI tools and use the Scan for Artifacts option. Run it for about 10mins, the temp will climb really high but in your case it should be fine. Then click on Show 3D View and run that for 10mins. Any crashes means unstable OC.

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
you know thats funny just last night i tried to overclock my xfx 8600 gt triple x edition and i got worse performance in cod4 than i got at stock. i figured it was cause my gpu was getting to hot ( it got up to 87c ) so i just set it back to stock. i used rivatuner to overclock.

ps. i only overclocked my card to like 635/1365/850

chiptouz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Evil,

I am using the most current WHQL version of the nvidia driver. ALso, COD4 is patched up to date.

I will DL and try ATI tools and check the overclock. Thankyou for the info. How about posting me a link to find the tool :whistle:

chiptouz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
What do you think about using the new EVGA overclock utility. I wonder if that would work better and it is similiar to rizatuner. Your thoughts on that?

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
Rivatuner is known to conflict with CoD4/punkbuster. Try flashing the overclock and not using rivatuner and see if the same thing happens.
aaa ok cool what about something like ntune. thats the only other one i have handy.
What do you think about using the new EVGA overclock utility. I wonder if that would work better and it is similiar to rizatuner. Your thoughts on that?
ya i have heard some good stuff about this program. i tried to download it but i got to make a password and i have so many i didnt feel like doing another. :??: :sleep: is it better than like ntune?

Asian PingPong

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Ntune is a terrible program, never use it. A while ago, after I build my rig, I installed it and set some fan speed profiles. I didn't even do any overclocking, I just set the fan speed on my card. I got my first bsod on my new comp within three hours. So I run the stability test. Every individual test for each component (ie. cpu, memory, pci-e bus, video card) passed, and I could run as long as I want and they will remain stable. Yet, as soon as I try to run a complete test with all the components check off, it crashes within minutes. Wtf? I then tried to run rivatuner for overclocking. Nope, conflicted, got errors when trying to save profiles and stuff to drivers. Then I proceeded to unistall graphic drivers, clean the traces off my os, and reinstall. Still errors. At this point I was just like, wtf, screw it. I didn't have much installed at that point, so I just figured reformatting and reinstalling windows would be easier than fixing the problem. So I reinstalled windows, installed the same programs, and I've been stable ever since.

G

^^^^

Yeah, nTune is a terrible terrible program that does more harm than good. Never even install it.

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
wow eak mm so does that mean i should reformat and get rid of it that way?? i dont us it for much of any thing exsept i used it to flash my bios yesterday( which thankfully went smoothly) or will just uninstalling it work. i didnt even overclock with it. just used it for like a little hardware monitoring.

cocodapuf

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
The first time I tried VGA overclocking I used nTune. To make a long story short, it took 2 days and a lot of asprin before my system was back to normal.