[SOLVED] Coil Whine

AstelZero

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
I have a coil whine problem, to start off it's not PSU, I changed it. Last week I bought RX 580 Nitro+.
When I play any game it starting to coil whine, sound is so loud that I can't even describe you how loud it is.
Today I have taken the graphics card to pc local repair shop, theye tested the graphics card and it's working properly on their motherboards without any coil whine.
Now the funny part. When I do AIDA64 GPU + CPU benchmark it dosen't coil whine on GPU test. Coil whine happens in CPU - FPU test?
Ryzen 3 3200GE
Gigabyte GA-A320MSH V2
If somone could point me out is CPU the problem or the freaking cheap motherboard.

are you positive the noise is coming from the GPU fans and not your CPU cooler?
the fact that there was no noise from the GPU at the shop and only noise when stressing your CPU leads me to believe it is a fan cooling your CPU that is producing the sound.

what fans do you have installed(how many & where) in the system. how are they controlled? do you have a manual fan curve(s) in place, software with a pre-set fan profile running? or are they static speed fans?

coil whine comes from fans not functioning correctly, usually bad bearings. unless your motherboard has a built-in chipset cooling fan, it cannot produce this sound.

AstelZero

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
are you positive the noise is coming from the GPU fans and not your CPU cooler?
the fact that there was no noise from the GPU at the shop and only noise when stressing your CPU leads me to believe it is a fan cooling your CPU that is producing the sound.

what fans do you have installed(how many & where) in the system. how are they controlled? do you have a manual fan curve(s) in place, software with a pre-set fan profile running? or are they static speed fans?

coil whine comes from fans not functioning correctly, usually bad bearings. unless your motherboard has a built-in chipset cooling fan, it cannot produce this sound.
I don't have any fans on my system. I turned off graphics card fans and the noise is still coming.
I don't know if it's graphics card or my motherboard. I'm using stock cooler.
I can dissconect CPU Cooler for a while when I'm doing stress test?
Should I try it

you are risking burning out components by turning off GPU and/or CPU fans. and risking damaging the motherboard by unplugging fans while it is running.

if it is indeed "coil whine";
it is obviously not the GPU's fans producing the sound if it continues with the fans set to off.
if the only other fan in the system is the CPU cooler than this is what is producing it.
instead of disconnecting the fan while testing, maybe just stop the fan for a second with something. most fans are not brittle enough to break from this type of action but it is a possibility.

i would buy a better cooler or just replace the fan with better. there are many cheaper nice air cooling options available. maybe add some more airflow with extra case fans while you're at it, then the CPU cooler fan and the GPU fans shouldn't need to run at such high speeds.

AstelZero

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
you are risking burning out components by turning off GPU and/or CPU fans. and risking damaging the motherboard by unplugging fans while it is running.

if it is indeed "coil whine";
it is obviously not the GPU's fans producing the sound if it continues with the fans set to off.
if the only other fan in the system is the CPU cooler than this is what is producing it.
instead of disconnecting the fan while testing, maybe just stop the fan for a second with something. most fans are not brittle enough to break from this type of action but it is a possibility.

i would buy a better cooler or just replace the fan with better. there are many cheaper nice air cooling options available. maybe add some more airflow with extra case fans while you're at it, then the CPU cooler fan and the GPU fans shouldn't need to run at such high speeds.
I have a big discovery! Like I just turned my system off and that cable that is connected to CPU_ FAN i disconnected it and connected to SYS_FAN. When I turned the pc on it started to produce that wierd sound!
When I put back that cable to CPU_FAN it didn't whine, but of course when I play games it does whine.

the BIOS should have a built-in fan curve for CPU based on the CPU's temperatures. when using the CPU_FAN port it will run at rather low speeds, as the CPU starts to heat up the fan will spin faster to compensate. why when using this port the noise only starts when you are gaming and the CPU starts to heat up.

the SYS_FAN port doesn't have this same type of fan curve setup so it will run at higher speeds all the time. why when using this port the noise is constant.

AstelZero

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
the BIOS should have a built-in fan curve for CPU based on the CPU's temperatures. when using the CPU_FAN port it will run at rather low speeds, as the CPU starts to heat up the fan will spin faster to compensate. why when using this port the noise only starts when you are gaming and the CPU starts to heat up.

the SYS_FAN port doesn't have this same type of fan curve setup so it will run at higher speeds all the time. why when using this port the noise is constant.

So it's the CPU Cooler? It's kinda dusted should I clean it up or just get a new cooler?

if it's "coil whine", it is the fan's bearings causing the sound. no cleaning can help. you would have to disassemble the fan and clean or replace the bearings, which is very difficult.
online shopping list of air coolers <$50: CPU Coolers
and list of fans: Fans

OP I can give you a solution you can try if you want. There is nothing to lose here since you will probably have to change the fan.

Remove the CPU fan. Peel the sticker of the fan to show the bearing. Add 1 to 2 drop of oil on the bearing. Turn the fan a few time with your fingers. Put back the fan.

If you knew how many fan i stopped making weird noises by doing that you would try right now. Trust me. It fixed 100% of the fan noise. I still have a 200mm fan that was making a huge sound while vibrating my entire case. Took 2 drops of oil and it's now running like it's new.

OP I can give you a solution you can try if you want. There is nothing to lose here since you will probably have to change the fan.

Remove the CPU fan. Peel the sticker of the fan to show the bearing. Add 1 to 2 drop of oil on the bearing. Turn the fan a few time with your fingers. Put back the fan.
@AstelZero, just be very careful there is no excess oil leaking/dripping onto the CPU plate or other components.

@AstelZero, just be very careful there is no excess oil leaking/dripping onto the CPU plate or other components.

Of course. 1-2 drops isn't a lot of oil. it's just enough to lubricate the bearing and the sticker that you put back is blocking the hole.

Thanks for saying that tho. You're not wrong. Never had a problem with the oil leaking since it's only 1-2 drop but it's good to tell. You never know. it does the job tho. Saved me a lot of money. :)