Question Colored artifacts on high resolution/graphics GTX 1060 6GB MSI

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
I bought an used GTX 1060 6GB MSI a few months ago and immediately, at least on high details/resolution games I am getting some colored artifacts like fireworks going on the screen. I've noticed that when I underclock the gpu the artifacts get less intense.

This is happening on Windows 7, 10 and 11, so I guess it has nothing to do with drivers. The temperature is always under 65°C.

What could be causing this? Is my gpu defective?

My specs:

CPU:FX6300
MB: Asus M5A78L-M LX V2
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB MSI
3 HD + 1 SSD
PSU: Gamemax GP 650

Hey there,

That card is quite old now. A great card in it's day. I know, I had one :)

However, with the GPU running at normal temps, but still producing artefacts, then it's very possible this card was used for mining. The miners would overclock the vram to get better results mining, but also have them running 24/7. They degrade with that usage.

Try the usual fixes. Uninstall the GPu driver with DDU and do a fresh clean install. Are all your system drivers up to date, including chipset?

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
Hey there,

That card is quite old now. A great card in it's day. I know, I had one :)

However, with the GPU running at normal temps, but still producing artefacts, then it's very possible this card was used for mining. The miners would overclock the vram to get better results mining, but also have them running 24/7. They degrade with that usage.

Try the usual fixes. Uninstall the GPu driver with DDU and do a fresh clean install. Are all your system drivers up to date, including chipset?

I'll try reinstalling the gpu drivers using ddu, but I guess that if the same problem is happening on Windows 10 and 11 as well it probably won't fix the issue.