Colored screen showing up while gaming causing computer to freeze

Jholt18

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
Hi all, I recently got a gaming pc with an intel I-5 6600k processor and an amd rx 480 8gb gpu. I play a majority of high quality graphic games such as Arma 3, GTA V, Skyrim and DOOM to name a couple. When playing DOOM or GTA V, I can only play for 5 - 10 mins until my computer shows a colored screen and looping audio from the last snip of audio input. When this screen shows it completely locks up my pc and forces me to hold down the power button to shut it off. On boot up, nothing seems wrong and everything is normal. The interesting part for me is that I can play Arma 3 and Skyrim at 1080p max settings getting over 60+ frames and never expierencing a single crash. I at first thought that these crashes were a result of a driver problem or it being outdated. I successfully updated the amd drivers and they are as up to eat as possible. These crashes only happen when playing DOOM and GTA V. I was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this.

Solution

Jholt18

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017

what did you change the memory clock to?

Rudmer15

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
i also have an RX card, what happens with me is that the screen turns into the color of what was happening. for example: when im looking at dark-green grass when it freezes the whole screen is filled with that color. do you have the same or is the color more random?

Jholt18

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017

It is always the last color that was on the screen

Rudmer15

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

Have you found a solution?

Jholt18

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017

I have not. I have been able to make the problem less frequent by adjusting temps, fan speeds, and voltage but it still happens.

Try to underclock your memory. What is the stock frequency for memory ? Are you overclocking the card?

Jholt18

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017

I am not overclocking the card. I tried under clocking the memory and all seemed fine for a couple days, but I was just met with the system freeze, but after 5 seconds of the solid color a BSoD appeared with the stop code Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error.

If the card has issues with stock frequencies you should consider rmaing the gpu. If i remember, your v-memory has tighter timings at 1750 mhz, so give it a try and underclock at 1750 mhz.

Solution