Nov 15, 2009
I have Dell Dimension 8250
Specs: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8250/specs.htm#1084976

Type: PC800 or PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC)

Memory connectors: four

Memory capacities: 64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC

Minimum memory: 128 MB

Maximum memory: 2 GB for PC800.....1.5 GB for PC1066

Currently, I have 2 sticks of 256mb, PC1066, non-ECC (assuming non ecc because it doesnt say anything about ecc on the stickers)

Here are my questions:

1) Will it still work if I combine PC800 with PC1066? I am willing to deal with some performance issue after combining them.

2) I heard that you can't mix ecc with non-ecc, and it won't even boot up...is this true?

3) Since I already have 2 sticks of 256mb PC1066 non-ecc in there, I will not be able to add anymore since the "memory capacities" limiitation is 512mb (based on specs)? If yes, what is "Maximum memory: 2 GB for PC800.....1.5 GB for PC1066" means?

1. You CAN'T use ECC RAM on that PC anyways.

2. That system uses Rambus RAM, which is hard to find and usually not worth the price.

3. Your MAX RAM capacity is 2GB or 1.5GB depending on RAM speed.

4. Mixing RAM type is usually not recommended unless you can adjust the voltages,etc manually, which I doubt you can do on Dell BIOSs.

My recommendation:
Save the money and do a new build.

Is this the same computer from the other folder, where you wanted to upgrade only the graphics card and everyone finally agreed it just wasn't worth the trouble with a CPU that old? In that thread, I thought there might be a chance of saving the machine for light duty because you said you already had 2GB of RAM. But this situation is just desperate.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275849-31-please-upgrading-graphics-card

My advice to you: Give. It. Up. This is what happens when a system gets too far out of date. There might be a couple of components that you can replace with modern parts -- but it won't matter, because other components will be impossible to upgrade, and those will cap your machine at very limited performance.

You're now looking at spending $200-plus on upgrades that will still leave you worse off than even the low-end machines sold today. Hell, just take that money and buy someone's USED early Core 2 system off Craigslist. You'll get several times more value for your money.

jena_blondie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

LOL..WHAT IS UP WITH YOU?? Are you a sales person for a core2 system? Everytime I ask a question, you respond with "buy a new system.."..lol. Anyone can say that.
HOW MANY time do i have to tell you that I am very aware of the cost associated with upgrading my current system vs. buying a new desktop....are you a deaf?
I wish that you don't participant in my threads anymore because you are not being very helpful.
I already have RDRAM sticks that I can use for FREE... :eek: ..lol
I have some PC800, PC1066, ecc, non-ecc....I am just trying to find out if I can mix them up..lol, not buy a new computer.
Please go away...

jena_blondie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

I thought I should ask experts before putting them in..

I don't want to damage my OLD system or short out those sticks....
It is true that they are expensive and rare to find. I got them out from my friends older systems. I hope you understand... :cry:

Well, last time, I told you to go buy a USED system, so technically the "sales person" line doesn't even work very well as an insult. Not to mention that in the other thread I was the only one telling you that a new video card might even have a fraction of a chance of being worthwhile ... and in this thread you never mentioned already having the 2GB of RAM until just now -- you made it sound like you had 512MB and would have to buy the rest.

Obviously, you made up your mind before you came here and are not going to listen to what anyone else tells you unless it supports your original plan. Even though they're pretty much unanimous that you're going to have limited success and get a poor return for your money.

You're that attached to your old computer, or that determined to prove you know how to do the upgrade, then fine, go ahead and do whatever you want. Not my problem.

jena_blondie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Look here genius....I already have i7 laptop for my business use. I bought this Dell 8250 (Pent 4) 5~6 years ago, paid close to 3K. I am not about to just throw it away.
I am trying to give it to my nephew who is about to turn 11. This will be his first desktop and he won't be needing a core 2 desktop. I am just trying to make it perform better than now so that he can do more things than his homework. I wanted the best PSU and GPU in case he decides to grows up and play a few games. I've already ordered used PSU and GPU (not new) that the other guy recommended on my other thread. Guess what? I only spent 75 bucks for both..... and I already have some RDRAM that I got from my frineds' older PC. These RDRAM are not cheap and rare, that's why I don't want to just plugged them in to see if they will work. Get it?

I didn't know that I have to tell everyone every little details of my intention to get some decent answers...LOL

Did you know that at least 25% of the PC owners still have their Pentium III? Not everyone in America is a hardcore like you, duo core man...lol

See ... if you don't mention important information like that, you're going to get a completely different set of answers from people. Like, it would kind of help to know:

1. This wasn't supposed to be your main computer
2. You had 2GB of RAM in your possession, not just the 512MB that was installed
3. Basically anything about what you intended to use it for.

Instead, you withhold information and then turn around acting surly when people don't guess it on their own. Sorry, but while this is a *SOMEWHAT* reasonable undertaking for a machine you're using as a kids' computer, it would be idiotic to try and use it as a main machine for playing hardcore games, which -- until JUST NOW -- you never gave any indication was not your purpose. In fact, you even mentioned Crysis by name. So until you cleared that up, then yes, the correct answer would have been to forget about it and go with a different machine ... genius. :eek: LOL.

As it is, you'll probably be better off if you understand that no matter what you originally paid for it, any computer is going to be out of date in 5-6 years and there's nothing you can do about it, except relegate it to low-intensity work. That i7 you bought? It'll be a piece of junk by then too. The fact that you paid that much for the P4 is probably the only reason it's still barely hanging on as passable today -- means it was probably brand-new technology when you bought it -- but its time is coming soon too.

:eek: LOL.