Comcast Goes Extreme With 105 Mbps Service

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViper

Distinguished
[citation][nom]wasabiman123[/nom]But how come verizons fios has like triple the upload speed??[/citation]
Verizon FIOS is a fiber optic service. This service from Comcast is still using cable.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
so instead of reaching the cap in 2 weeks. Now you can reach it in 3 days !

way to go Comcast ! spent more on ADs, PR, overpaying CEO, etc than to spend more to improve your network.

Thank you we don't have Comcast in NYC.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I am so glad I buy boxed Steam games...

One week I had nothing to do though so I just watched like 20 movies through Netflix and I was starting to get concerned about my bandwidth cap. That shouldn't be the case though. In the richest-country on Earth I shouldn't be restricted to third-world country limitations. I feel like moving to Europe...

shiroikaze

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]BTW - how is 4GB a HiDef movie? Current SD DVDs hold about 4.5GB per side. Which holds a bit more than a 2hr movie + extras.A 1080p 2hr movie needs about 15+GB, unless its compressed into block crap. That means a about 15 movies a month, who knows.[/citation]

Keyword is "compression" there. DVDs usually use mpeg2 compression (which have cruddy compression), hence why 2-hour movies on DVD are usually around 4 GB. If you do it right and use the right codec, you can whittle that 4 GB down to less than 1 GB while not losing any apparent quality.

So yeah, it's possible to get 2 hour long, massive 1080p movies down to around 4 GB while still looking (and sounding) great.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Unfortunately, Verizon is not in every region. And other phone companies that DO offer fiber, charge much more...and are even more rare.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]BTW - how is 4GB a HiDef movie? Current SD DVDs hold about 4.5GB per side. Which holds a bit more than a 2hr movie + extras.A 1080p 2hr movie needs about 15+GB, unless its compressed into block crap. That means a about 15 movies a month, who knows.[/citation]
uncompressed, a dvd has about 4.5gb of space, but most you buy are dual layerd, so assume about 9gb (i know that number is wrong, just easier to understand)

a 1 hour 40 hour movie takes about 4.8gb
now just compressing it, not optomised, just im a noob compression, takes the file size down to 1.3gb. i will not deny that there is a loss in quality, but in motion, you WILL NOT NOTICE IT. and someone who knows EXACTLY how to compress it, you can get an even smaller file size, and higher quality, to the point that frame by frame, a normal person cant tell the difference, but the file size is about 4 times smaller.

a general rule of thumb is that 30min of 480p = 120-240mb (depending on if its encoded for action or not) 30 min of 720p encodes to 350mb for tv, and about 500-600mb for bluray rip and 1080p comes to 720mb for tv 720mb for non actiony bluray rips, and about 1gb to 1.1gb for actiony rips, and you can NOT tell that it is compressed.

now the reason that netfliks gets blocky is because they encode it twice, the best sd and hd, than let an automated system take care of the rest, which isn't good, but is honestly the best i would expect form them.

now to other people. a 105mbit line is for geting crap fast. i get a game, i want that game NOW 10 mb a second, i get it fast. it doesn't mean im satiuateing the line 24/7
and right now im paying 80+ a month for a 40mbit down 3 up line. though no limits that i know of and i have downloaded tbs a month at times.

aliened

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Well, seems like you can't have everything in this world. Here in Mexico you must pay aprox. the same amount for only 6mbps in download but without any cap, on the other hand, you guys have cheap rates (in comparison with us and not with Japan of course) but that annoying cap =/

bloodlust22

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]so instead of reaching the cap in 2 weeks. Now you can reach it in 3 days !way to go Comcast ! spent more on ADs, PR, overpaying CEO, etc than to spend more to improve your network.Thank you we don't have Comcast in NYC.[/citation]

I second that. This is a joke, Why spend all this money upgrading your network if your still going to cap it? No one in there right mind would pay those prices for a service that would be overlimit in days. Capitolism at it best, Leading our nation to straight into the toliet with our greedy and corupt companies and politicans.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]wasabiman123[/nom]But how come verizons fios has like triple the upload speed??I'm eyeing a verizon triple bundle with 35/35 internet!!!!!!What kind of docsis does verzon use...Why does choosing internet providers seem so fkin hard...[/citation]
Cable's upload range is 5~45 mhz. Its download range is 50~1002 mhz. This means you can fit 20 times more downstream then upstream. What cable is really trying to do is get rid of legacy support. That being the people who just plug in directly through the Antenna port on their TV. Since most Cable is Fiber all the way before it enter your home, its rather silly to keep supporting it. It also consumes alot of valuable space then if used more effeciently. With Cisco and steps cable providers are now taking to reduce signal usage, we could see a more even upload to download ratio. We could also see a significant increase in speeds as well as a more tied together home system. There is really not much of a difference between Cable, FiOS, and U-Verse. Just the company who provides it and how they deliver it. In a couple years the how they deliver it part will be very similar.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]uncompressed, a dvd has about 4.5gb of space, but most you buy are dual layerd, so assume about 9gb (i know that number is wrong, just easier to understand) a 1 hour 40 hour movie takes about 4.8gb now just compressing it, not optomised, just im a noob compression, takes the file size down to 1.3gb. i will not deny that there is a loss in quality, but in motion, you WILL NOT NOTICE IT. and someone who knows EXACTLY how to compress it, you can get an even smaller file size, and higher quality, to the point that frame by frame, a normal person cant tell the difference, but the file size is about 4 times smaller. a general rule of thumb is that 30min of 480p = 120-240mb (depending on if its encoded for action or not) 30 min of 720p encodes to 350mb for tv, and about 500-600mb for bluray rip and 1080p comes to 720mb for tv 720mb for non actiony bluray rips, and about 1gb to 1.1gb for actiony rips, and you can NOT tell that it is compressed. now the reason that netfliks gets blocky is because they encode it twice, the best sd and hd, than let an automated system take care of the rest, which isn't good, but is honestly the best i would expect form them. now to other people. a 105mbit line is for geting crap fast. i get a game, i want that game NOW 10 mb a second, i get it fast. it doesn't mean im satiuateing the line 24/7and right now im paying 80+ a month for a 40mbit down 3 up line. though no limits that i know of and i have downloaded tbs a month at times.[/citation]
Lol, BR or DVD is already compressed and I can pretty much tell difference between 1.5G and 10G br rip.
You can already find difference between 4G+ 720p, 10G+ 1080p and original.

Uncompressed 720p is about 1G per minute and those making home family movies would know that.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Yeah, my local Fiber network gives you 50Mb/s upload and download for $58 per month. At the same time, the business connection 100Mb/s upload and download costs $200 per month, but I believe you get other features with that. I'd still take the 50Mb download AND upload for $58 over a $105 plan that only has 10Mb/s upload. That's just silly.

I consistently go over the 250gb cap each month. I usually get close to 1TB a month, avg 700-800gb probably. I've never heard a peep from Comcast cuz its probably not "legal" to cap it. If you pay X amount of dollars a month for a certain connection speed that is worded "per second" then that speed is in effect guaranteed for every second of that month. That'll be my argument if they ever give me any crap.

G

This looks incredible when compared to Quebec... here they provide 120Mbps /20Mbps for a 170+30 Gb limit ( that's completely retarded!) for $150... You basically get 50% less service for 50% more money!

Now, if only there were cheaper options in the 30Mbps+ services... Then maybe we could save and buy plane tickets to Europe!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]You're delusional if you think Verizon doesn't have a cap coming in the near future. We have probably 5-6 computers on our network at any given time constantly downloading, streaming, etc and we never come close to hitting the 250GB cap. If you're running over 250GB you're obviously on the computer WAAY too much..haha. Go outside and see the sun..lol[/citation]

Verzon has been stating for years they have no intentions of adding caps. Thier network since DSL has alwasy been fast never a slow down even in peek times for me. But not every company throws billions into thier networks making sure they are able to handle their customer base :) hell 250gigs isnt even enough for just me. and i have 4 other computer users in this house.

[citation][nom]demithyx[/nom]heh dl cap is lame . currently loving my 1000mpbs dl spd[/citation]

Where in the world are you?

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
So with downloading 4 GB movies in 5 minutes one could download about 48 gb per hour or possibly reach the 250 GB cap in under just 6 hours.If they increased the cap to 10 times that it might? be worthwhile.
No thanks I'll just stick with slower DSL service.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Dear Comcast I've already got FIOS and they keep upgrading my service every year, so regretably I won't want to switch over to your craptacular offering.

G

I've had a reliable unlimited 100/100mbit for $20/mo. including public IP since 2007.
And I live in a former communist country.

Comcast is simply the worst, they are almost in the same league as "I need someone in the US with a bank account to transfer the sum of 115 million US dollars in cash......". Really, what kind of ripoff have they come up with now. You can hit your cap in days instead of weeks, oh and the "$105" a month for 12 months, who in the world is going to pay $105 a month for home internet access? And the kicker, what does it go up to at the end of 12 months? $129, $139, or even $189 per month? If it follows along with rest of their overpriced worst value for what you get on the planet prices, it will likely be more than that. What a joke, Comcast, yet another huge fail.

G

Canadian born, and having worked in the states for 9 month terms at a time, I have to say... what the ... I loved getting sent to the states, UNLIMITED internet for $50/m. Right now in Montreal, QC, paying $136.91 to Videotron (our cable monopoly here) for Basic Phone (not even call waiting), HD Cable TV (Yeah.. 8 english HD channels, 21 SD in english), and ... wait for it... 7.5MB/s internet with 50gb per month cap!!! Seems the states are taking a step BACKWARDS. I'm wishing Canada would take a few steps forward. Sick of Bell, Videotron, Rogers.

G

Sounds expensive to me. I have three-in-one pack (TV, landline phone and internet 100/20 Mbps) for €33. And it really is 100/20 Mbps, I do achieve those speeds when server is capable.
And I live in Estonia - not very densely populated nation.

Comcast knows people like me will give a limb before going back to the only other choice, which here is dial-up. I hate Comcast as much as a person can hate a business but still use them.

They are probably too big for their britches, out-of-control company overhead, inflated egos(sp?) and inflated bonuses. I live in California and have lived in other states with similar services of similar quality for half the price.

/rant "What? Im 337 feet out of range for DSL? Blah!" /rips out hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS