Comcast Goes Extreme With 105 Mbps Service

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Ill deal with my uncapped 20Mbps connection (Insight), thank you very much. Granted they get a little cranky about constantly uploading things, but they could give two shits less about how much you download. Ive been a customer for over 5 years, so trust me, I tested this theory quite a few times, especially after getting Netflix last year. Anyway, I feel sorry for all the Comcast subscribers who have no other choice.

G

Extreme prices! In Romania we have unlimited 50Mbps/50Mbps up/down for ~$7 monthly fee, 75/75 for $10, 100/100 for $15 and 1000/1000 for $20. This last service allows you to use all available bandwidth up to 1Gbps, which usually is just around 300-400Mbps. Other national ISPs in Romania charge $10-$20 for 100/6 to 100/16 speeds.

G

Isp's need to find a mean between low usage and high usage and grow with it. People who leave there file sharing programs on 24/7 are one of the culprits. I know kids who get warnings after 350 gigs and have nothing to show for it but a couple of video taped movies that takes them days to download sometimes. Most people I know barely break the 5 gig limit because they watch movies on tv and have a radio. Yes netflix will take a toll I think but no where near what they want in return.

cancerkazoo

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
In my area they are upgrading to Aurora nodes that can bond 16 channels both ways, although they are on,y currently bonding 4 down channels in the upgraded nodes at the moment.

My fist speedtest after the upgrade was 86.89 Mbps down, only 3.88 up though as the upstream is only a single channel right now (currently there are 5 upstreams in my area, but none are bonded)

cancerkazoo

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Hmm, maybe I should proof read before posting. No edit button FTMFL

[citation][nom]cancerkazoo[/nom]In my area they are upgrading to Aurora nodes that can bond 16 channels both ways, although they are on,y currently bonding 4 down channels in the upgraded nodes at the moment.My fist speedtest after the upgrade was 86.89 Mbps down, only 3.88 up though as the upstream is only a single channel right now (currently there are 5 upstreams in my area, but none are bonded)[/citation]

Cap is complete BS at that outrageous price. Over here in South Korea I get 100 Mpbs Ethernet connection for $35 USD a month. Its Cat-5 directly into the apartments backbone, the apartment building is connected to KT's network grid using multiple 1Gbps fiber lines. All apartment buildings newer then five years offer this service. No monthly caps and I've tested the download speed from a Korean site at 95Mbps and uploads at 68Mbps respectively. All for $35 USD a month, and Comcast is expecting you to pay $105 USD....

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
You know, Comcast gives you a warning the first time you go over 250GB. So, I decided to download+upload over 1300GB in 1 month. That's how I filled up my new 2TB Caviar black!
I got the warning and then soon after I quit my Comcast service!
So, with the 105Mb connection, download 10 Terabytes for 1 month and you will get your warning and then stop using it or keep using Comcast but don't go too far over 250GB or else they might cut you.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
That's a bit expensive. For less price in my country I can have an uncapped 120Mb/s upload and 24Mb/s internet with free phone calls and more than 100 TV channels. And if I pay more I can also get an internet service with speeds up to 1Gb/s upload & download.

tavix

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
We have 100Mbps both up/down with NO CAP for at least 5 years now in countries like Sweden, Norway, Romania, Japan or South Korea. For a price between 10 and 20$ /month. hehehe! Welcome to the 21 century America....

tavix

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
We have 100Mbps both up/down with NO CAP for at least 5 years now in countries like Sweden, Norway, Romania, Japan, South Korea, etc. For a price between 10 and 20$ /month. hehehe! Welcome to the 21 century America....

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
i'm downloading massive amounts of data, never been capped, never received a warning abuot it. Now i do pay abuot 75% more as i chose business class cable so that i could get better uploads and then a statric IP address. Just ask for the Docsis 3.0 modem when you sign up, and your basically uncapped regardless of the speed you pay for! i'm 68 getting Mb download service and 6.5-7Mb upload... Amazing how fast this is, now ppl just need to realize that there is a difference in 105Mb/sec and 105MB/sec... its a simple concept but people just cant figure it out

G

Kileak 04/17/2011 3:40 AM wrote: But... can it download Crysis?

ROFL I almost spit out my water reading this.

G

100mbps@ 110$..thats cheap..in india i pay roughly 20$ for a 600kbps connection with a cap of 6gigs after which it ll reach 256kbps...yeah..i do sound like i am from stone age...Fuck!!!! :( :(

G

Jeesus, We have 200 Mbit internet for more than a year now, that's for 30.00 buks, no data limit. Thats in Latvia, in some lokations we can get 500 mbit optical cable in house.

jjamess

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Comcast business doesn't have the cap. It is obviously more expensive, but for users that really need it, it is available. I pay $110 for 25Mb down with 13 usable public IP's. That is a deal IMO, compared to a T1 and such. I have downloaded over 1TB in a month before. And since I host web/email, likely uploaded a fair amount as well.

$105 per month - WOW that's it!
With Comcast at the helm I expected about $2,000 a month.
I used to have them and thier prices are total BS. Comcast is trying to get a better image and re-invent themselves with this "Xfinity" name but it's not the customer service that sucks. It's the (local) monopolistic greed that powers these insane prices. ALL COMCAST EXECUTIVES CAN SUCK MY D*CK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS