Command Prompt Immediately closes (when opening directly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

richylc

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017
I have recently (with no changes made) begun having an issue where I cannot get a command prompt to open. I am opening it directly (from search as well as directly from system32).

Trying to search the issue results in spam of people having issues with the prompt closing after running a bat file, which is obviously what happens by default.

I am directly opening the command prompt and it closes after a split second. I am not running a script or a command, just opening the prompt.

Solution

I've not heard of CMD needing elevated privileges to start. I have heard of virus doing this. I have heard of corrupted system files doing this. The suggestion is close to a zero effort to try, but I don't see it helping.

david.eurenius

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

Try emptying the AutoRun RegKey found here "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor" in the registry.

Solution
Mar 8, 2018

Mar 30, 2018
@david.eurenius

I have literally just made an account to say thank you!

Removing the entry from the reg key worked for me and you have saved me so much time having to reinstall!

Thank you! :)

Jul 21, 2018
Try emptying the AutoRun RegKey found here "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor" in the registry.[/quotemsg]

That helped ! after I install a program, I realized when I opened cmd, it would automatically close... I don't know why this happens, but after looking for so many answers, I'm glad you found it, that worked! I had some weird code line there saying something and "... & exit)", so it was really closing it...

Anyway, I just made this account to thank you too!

Reactions: vite1337
Aug 6, 2018

I've made this account to just say THANK YOU so much!!! I was googling the problem for hours and almost accepted the fact that I might to reinstall Windows. You helped me out a lot!

Feb 12, 2019

Try emptying the AutoRun RegKey found here "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor" in the registry.

Made an account just to say thanks! I thought I had to reinstall Windows 10, glad to know that;s not the case.

May 19, 2019

THANK YOU SO MUCH, i was looking everywhere and nothing. and you save my PC thank you!! (created this account just to say THANK YOU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS