Comments and advice please

davidn46

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I have purchased from the Dell outlet (not received yet) a refurbished Inspiron 570, AMD R905/2 x additional quad core Operton processor, 6Gb 1024 DDR3 ram,
onboard 512mb NVIDIA Geforce G310 graphics, after doing some research I noted this processor is used mainly in servers and am concerned I have made a boob,
the computor will mainly be used for photo work, photoshop, lightroom etc, any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am not very computer savvy,
Thanking you in advance.
David

That's not a bad setup, depending on what price you paid. It will do everything you listed. Make a note of the motherboard model for future reference. I use cpu-z to id the board, but other programs will also do it. Those opteron ddr3 boards are rare and expensive. If it fails, you may have a hard time replacing it.

davidn46

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

Good Morning.
Thank you for your reply, set my mind at ease, I paid £340 (free delivery), I will do as you suggest.
I was rather baffled as this machine was in the home/home office category and researching the internet
I could find no reference to this sort of set up being used in home computing, obviously not common practice.
Thanking you again for taking the time to reply
Regards... David