Commodore Announces New Quad-core C64x Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]some good photos at http://hothardware.com/News/Commod [...] e-On-Sale/[/citation]
Nice share.

I guess I'll have to say it...don't want to but really, I'm curious. CAN it run Crysis? I don't see a dedicated video card. Actually it's not Crysis I care about, it's the newer games...like BF3, MW3, Black Ops. I saw a guy play CoD4 online with an integrated graphics card from a laptop, it was a little choppy...not for me.

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Nice share.I guess I'll have to say it...don't want to but really, I'm curious. CAN it run Crysis? I don't see a dedicated video card. Actually it's not Crysis I care about, it's the newer games...like BF3, MW3, Black Ops. I saw a guy play CoD4 online with an integrated graphics card from a laptop, it was a little choppy...not for me.[/citation]

Well, it has Linux on it.. so unless you dual boot or run through WINE, no.

On a related note, It makes me happy to see it's shipping with Linux:)

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tuch92[/nom]Well, it has Linux on it.. so unless you dual boot or run through WINE, no. On a related note, It makes me happy to see it's shipping with Linux[/citation]

Linux is dead. We know it because some idiot who writes a blog told us so, and Tom's reposted it so that we could all know about it.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
But can it play Uridium? (Thumbs up if you remember that game)

I realize it is likely due to the size limit but the lack of a dedicated GPU makes it simply undesirable for that price nostalgia or not.

The next nostalgic release will include the older case designs of the Tandy 1000 and Packard Bell systems, though nowadays, they include rubberized chain-mail gauntlets for the squeamish system builders.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I actually still have my old Commodore 64 in my closet. Working condition with the box. Hopefully, it will be worth something in 30-40 years when I retire haha.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"The next nostalgic release will include the older case designs of the Tandy 1000 and Packard Bell systems"

Unlike PB, my C64-C was very reliable. I dont think too many people will be nostalgic for the malfunctioning messes that PB put out in the US.

G

I'd rather they did an Arm version for $500 with a Tegra 3 quad core SOC and a custom version of Linux. $

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]But can it play Uridium? (Thumbs up if you remember that game)I realize it is likely due to the size limit but the lack of a dedicated GPU makes it simply undesirable for that price nostalgia or not.[/citation] Maby with a PCI x16 felxable extender you could mod your own GPU into it... but why not start with an origanal and build it ground up??

Why don't they attempt to market quality portable computers at a reasonable cost like the product that made the Commodore64 a classic? They actually could find a place in the world today for a device that wireless hooked up to your TV and did everything you need a computer to do for $200 (Atom CPU & Linux). Or $600 and put an i5-2310M and GT 540M in it (Windows Optional)?

Instead, they want to market an overpriced novelty item on nostalgia...I'm just saying that if I went through the trouble to produce it at all, I'd produce a product with a target market wider than "nerds who got rich in the 80's".

rjandric

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
The price is understandable since it's entirely R&Dd and made in USA. Back in the day, average machine was this expensive ('80s). I still have 2 C64s one that works and second one for parts and 1541 with bunch of retail games. Emulator on my Mac Pro is OK, but nothing beats the sound of SID coming from the TV.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy.
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo called,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name, which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

I'm pretty sure Juliet would agree that regardless of what they call this "thing", it's no Commodore 64. Commodore chose NOT to use the 8086 line when the created the 64. If it doesn't use something based on the 6502 (like the 6510), support sprites, and run 64 software natively, cost $600 or less, and make people wonder how something with so much memory costs so little, it's not a Commodore 64. Heck, if they had any sense of history, they'd at least have used ARM processors, which were at least partially based on the 6502.

A PC in drag is not a Commodore 64.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
If the apps that came on the original C64 where updated to their current OS, and performance tests to show that it is faster than what I can build for $1499, then it might be a fit. Otherwise it fits into the same category as Appleware $$$$$$$$$$ for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.