[SOLVED] Compatibility for Routers ?

Jun 16, 2022
Hi,

We are currently trying to get wifi in our hanger. The main router is in our office, our isp is onecom, and the router we use is a Technicolor DGA0122.
We have a ethernet cable running to the hanger which then connects to a Ethernet splitter box which then connects to the pc's but as i said we want WiFi. Could i plug a router to the end of the ethernet which runs to the hangar and create a second wifi signal? If so, what router would be compatible to do this?

Thanks in advance

Solution
You need nothing real special about a router. The thing is you technically do not want to run it as a "router". It would work but you would have 2 networks and you might have issues with things like file sharing if you use that. Just internet access would work.

What you actually want is a AP. You do not need a actual AP you can use any router as a AP. Most routers have a AP mode but you can use any.

In this case you might want to consider a real AP. The key feature these device have is the ability to power them over ethernet. This lets you place the device where there is no power socket. You could place it on the ceiling in the middle of the area to get best coverage.
AP are sold by many companies but I like...
You need nothing real special about a router. The thing is you technically do not want to run it as a "router". It would work but you would have 2 networks and you might have issues with things like file sharing if you use that. Just internet access would work.

What you actually want is a AP. You do not need a actual AP you can use any router as a AP. Most routers have a AP mode but you can use any.

In this case you might want to consider a real AP. The key feature these device have is the ability to power them over ethernet. This lets you place the device where there is no power socket. You could place it on the ceiling in the middle of the area to get best coverage.
AP are sold by many companies but I like ubiquiti device because they have feature used by commercial installs but the brands sold to home consumers are good too.

Solution