[SOLVED] Compatibility of MSI Z97 PC Mate with DDR3 3000MHz and advice

CulDoes

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015
Hi all,

I'm currently running two 8GB modules of some Corsair DDR3 1600MHz with my MSI Z97 PC Mate motherboard.
I'd like to upgrade to two 16GB modules of DDR3 3000MHz RAM, as I'm noticing I'm reaching into my pagefile/swapfile quite a bit

The motherboard specification says it supports up to 32GB (perfect), but specifies that it supports up to DDR3 3000MHz (OC).
Specified as "OC", I'm not certain if that means that I can just plug-and-play if I purchase some 3000MHz out-the-box modules, or if I need to modify some BIOS settings, or something else?

If you have any advice or feedback, please let me know!

Thanks in advance

Solution
DDR3-2133MHz would be the highest I'd ever go with that platform. If you had something like an ROG pedigree board, you could get to DDR3-2400MHz but anything above that would be through a lot of trial and error or exotic forms of cooling.

Z97 PC Mate
Just an FYI, that series of boards were literally the bottom of the barrel sort of boards meaning the worst possible VRM componentry went onto it. Any mileage you get out of that board would be hit or miss.

Lutfij

Titan
DDR3-2133MHz would be the highest I'd ever go with that platform. If you had something like an ROG pedigree board, you could get to DDR3-2400MHz but anything above that would be through a lot of trial and error or exotic forms of cooling.

Z97 PC Mate
Just an FYI, that series of boards were literally the bottom of the barrel sort of boards meaning the worst possible VRM componentry went onto it. Any mileage you get out of that board would be hit or miss.

Solution

CulDoes

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015

Z97 PC Mate
Fair enough, thanks very much