Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Hi all!

Wondering if anyone can help with an issue I am having at the moment. Just built the rig in my signature...went through all the usual steps all ok etc. Now whenever I am browsing the net (whether it be for 5 mins or for 5hrs) the machine will randomly lock up. Nothing but a restart will resolve the issue. It appears to only be happening when on the net?

I have checked for and removed any/all spyware using Spybot S&D, Latest version of Adaware etc. Check for Viruses and all seems clear.

Am running XP Pro with SP2, 6.66 Nvidia Chipset drivers with 77.77 Forceware all the latest "Critical and Security" updates.

The same crash (well the same effect at least) happens when playing Flatout V1.1 (i think) as soon as the driver is about to get thrown through the window the whole machine just locks >:-(

Cant figure out what it could be and any help or insight would be greatly appreciated as I am getting fed up with my expensive new toy freezing on me.

Oh yes and all tempreture appear well within the relevant boundries and nothing is OC'd

<i>Mmm Dawn,Eve,Nalu & Luna @ the same time...Drool!
-------------------------------------------------
<b>Athlon 64x2 4400+ (1Mb), 2x512Mb Crucial PC3200, ASUS A8N Premium, XFX 7800GTX. :cool:

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Seems like I read on this forum somewhere that folks were having trouble with those vid card drivers...you might try rolling back to an earlier set.

....WW (5.1)

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
XP lock up is a driver software issue. Dig into it (install XP with nothing but original drivers and see what happening).

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Sigh! I was hoping for an easy answer....Thanks though. I may just have to do that.

Incidentally, there is one other minor issue that I have not come accross b4. when the machine isnt busy crashing and i then open up task manager the title bar (not sure thats the right name for it - the blue bar at the top where you have minimize, miximize and close buttons) is non existant! cant see it or click it but can tab along and swap between tabs if you do a bit of guess work...any ideas?

<i>Mmm Dawn,Eve,Nalu & Luna @ the same time...Drool!
-------------------------------------------------
<b>Athlon 64x2 4400+ (1Mb), 2x512Mb Crucial PC3200, ASUS A8N Premium, XFX 7800GTX. :cool: