Computer being started by schedule from hibernate?

mikeh

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Our desktop computer running XP Home is turning itself on at 1:00 in the
morning after being placed in hibernate. The scheduler had items for this
time (which I am now changing). Isn't the computer completely OFF when
hibernated? What mechanism does it have for turning itself on if the CPU
supposedly is powered down?

Hibernate does not completely power down the PC. It allows the PC to be
started back up with one key/click/button or by a schedule. If you want to
power down the PC, use the "Shutdown" instead.

"MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Our desktop computer running XP Home is turning itself on at 1:00 in the
> morning after being placed in hibernate. The scheduler had items for this
> time (which I am now changing). Isn't the computer completely OFF when
> hibernated? What mechanism does it have for turning itself on if the CPU
> supposedly is powered down?

mikeh

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Aren't you talking about "Standby"? I tried this from hibernate the
computer does not respond to key/mouse clicks.

"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hibernate does not completely power down the PC. It allows the PC to be
> started back up with one key/click/button or by a schedule. If you want
> to power down the PC, use the "Shutdown" instead.
>

> "MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Our desktop computer running XP Home is turning itself on at 1:00 in the
>> morning after being placed in hibernate. The scheduler had items for
>> this time (which I am now changing). Isn't the computer completely OFF
>> when hibernated? What mechanism does it have for turning itself on if
>> the CPU supposedly is powered down?

Andy

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:58:46 -0700, "MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Our desktop computer running XP Home is turning itself on at 1:00 in the
>morning after being placed in hibernate. The scheduler had items for this
>time (which I am now changing). Isn't the computer completely OFF when
>hibernated? What mechanism does it have for turning itself on if the CPU
>supposedly is powered down?

As far as power consumption is concerned, hibernation and normal
shutdown are identical. Hibernation allows the real-time clock to
startup the computer via scheduled tasks.