Computer CPU power cable causing computer to turn off

Nov 3, 2018
My Computer stay on for about half a sec then turns back off when the CPU power cable is plugged in. But works fine when it's removed. Not sure if it's down to the CPU or the PSU.

What I currently have installed

Motherboard- MSI z270 gaming pro carbon
CPU- intel i7 8700k
PSU- Corsair CX 500
Ram- 2x8gb valcan DDR4 (in the 2nd and 4th slot)
GPU- 1060 6G GAMING MSI
Storage- 500gb SSD Kingston + 2X1 TB HDD
Heatsink- Coolmaster

DVD player

Are you sure you are using the correct cable for the CPU power? Even though it should be coded by shape, I have seen people try to plug in the PCIe power cables to the motherboard. Has this always happened or if this a brand new build? I would get a different power supply, which CX model is that, is it one of the newer CXM? Aside from the CPU or power supply may be a motherboard issue.

Nov 3, 2018

Nov 3, 2018
I'm pretty sure that I'm using the right lead as it's all marked up. I have replaced all the guts of the of pc(motherboard, ram, CPU). The only thing that's old is the heatsink and storage.

I ordered a new PSU (carsair CX 650) to see if it was something faulty with the old one but when I plugged it all in it still had the exact same problem. Then again it's from the same company and could be wrong.

Something I forgot to mention is that I'm changing it form AMD to Intel but am planning to wipe it as soon as I get the chance. Not sure that has any dramatic effect I don't know of.

On Friday I'm getting a bunch of IT gurus to have a look at it if I have not solved it by then.

What ever the problem is I think definitely goes above me.