Question Computer crashes during Destiny 2 but not when playing other intensive games?

xd00z1

Reputable
Oct 28, 2016
My computer fully crashes (No BSOD, just straight to power off) within 15-20 minutes of launching Destiny 2. The power button flashes and I have to unplug the power until the capacitors clear before I can turn it back on. I don't have this issue with any other game so I'm quite confused. Moreover because I don't get BSOD I have no event viewer or minidump of the crash, the only report in Event Viewer is that the computer shutdown was unexpected (interestingly though it usually gets the time wrong for when this crash occurred by 10-20 minutes). I haven't used the system to game in a few months but after upgrading the PSU and doing a fresh install of windows I encountered this issue.

Current Build:
Windows 10 Pro (Fresh install about 2 weeks old)
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
MSI FXA990-Gaming
MSI GTX 1080 (Stock Clock)
AMD FX-9590 (Stock Clock with corsair H100i 240mm cooler)
G.Skill Ares Series 1866 (2x8 stock frequency)
EVGA 750W N1 (Less than a month old)
Samsung U-E590D (Although I doubt monitor is the problem I'm adding this just in case)

It's an older system, but I'm hoping to have it chug along for another year or so before I upgrade.

I can currently run DOOM, Dead by Daylight, and Skyrim Special Edition at 4K on medium or better without issue, but running Destiny 2 even at low resolutions causes crashing. (not modern games I know but I don't really have any recent AAA titles.

My first thought was overheating so I ran HWMonitor alongside to check temps and my GPU was between 68-72C and the CPU was roughly 35C. For that reason I don't think it's an overheating issue. Moreover, I reduced the graphics to 1080P Low and still encountered crashing issues within 15-20 minutes.

I used OCCT to stress test the following components to determine where the error was:
CPU
RAM (also ran the windows memcheck with no errors)
GPU 3D
VRAM
Power (OCCT Runs Both CPU and GPU tests side by side)
But all the tests ran smoothly without crash or other issues after 1 hour each:

Then I found some guides that told me to try the following (not in order):
DDU Uninstall Drivers then reinstall from NVIDIA without GeForce Experience
Disable Shader Cache
Clear Steam Cache
Delete Config files for D2
Disable fullscreen optimization
Increase D2 priority in task manager
Uninstall and reinstall the game
Check Disk to look for drive errors
Clean and reseat GPU
Play in windowed mode
Disable all overlays (steam, discord, nvidia, gamebar, etc.)
Run with steam and discord closed (fully closed not just to icon tray)
Run as administrator

However, none of these changes have made any impact and I'm at a loss for what the problem might be. Any thoughts?

Lutfij

Titan
In all honesty the platform you're on is the problem. To no disrespect to you or the platform you're on but that FX-9590 belongs in the core of the Earth or it should be another star for the amount of heat it dumps.

By fresh install where did you source the installer for the OS from? You might want to also check and see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates pending. Destiny is a more resource intensive game compared to the other titles, so much so that one motherboard maker(ASRock) had to introduce BIOS updates to improve gameplay on said game(Destiny 2).

xd00z1

Reputable
Oct 28, 2016
In all honesty the platform you're on is the problem. To no disrespect to you or the platform you're on but that FX-9590 belongs in the core of the Earth or it should be another star for the amount of heat it dumps.

By fresh install where did you source the installer for the OS from? You might want to also check and see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates pending. Destiny is a more resource intensive game compared to the other titles, so much so that one motherboard maker(ASRock) had to introduce BIOS updates to improve gameplay on said game(Destiny 2).
Yeah I'm well aware it's in need of an update but just trying to milk it a little longer for the new Zen 4s. But If I can't fix it I'll have to upgrade.
OS was installed from the Microsoft Win 10 ISO from the Microsoft website. And I will try the BIOS updates I don't think I've ever updated it before.

xd00z1

Reputable
Oct 28, 2016
Yeah I'm well aware it's in need of an update but just trying to milk it a little longer for the new Zen 4s. But If I can't fix it I'll have to upgrade.
OS was installed from the Microsoft Win 10 ISO from the Microsoft website. And I will try the BIOS updates I don't think I've ever updated it before.
Flashed the bios to the newest version for my motherboard but still encountering system crashes.