Computer crashes immediately after i apply overclock through msi afterburner

sebastian-f

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Hi guys recently i have had quite a bad problem with over clocking my graphics card. Every time time i apply the OC, it instantly crashes and my screen turns black and flashes with some thin coloured lines all over the place. It isn't a blue screen, however once it crashes i have to restart my computer. I have been able to over clock previously, but as i updated the drivers, it started to happen more frequently until now where i can barely touch anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My specs are as follows:
Sapphire R9 390 8GB GDDR5
FX 8350 @4.5Ghz
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0
Kingston Hyper X Predator DDR3 1866Mhz 16GB
850 watt silver plus aero cool power supply

Solution
Not much you can do here, maybe the power supply is going, or the card is starting to not work as well, which can happen since you already had the card overclocked. What do you want to have more, a slightly faster card or a working card? The more you try to overclock with it crashing the more likely that the last crash will be the last time it turns on.
Not much you can do here, maybe the power supply is going, or the card is starting to not work as well, which can happen since you already had the card overclocked. What do you want to have more, a slightly faster card or a working card? The more you try to overclock with it crashing the more likely that the last crash will be the last time it turns on.

Solution

sebastian-f

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

Thanks!

sebastian-f

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

Thanks!

otamaglimmer

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
The same is happening to me. My card (Gigabyte R7 360) comes OCd by default, and I've always had to underclock it near defaults for it to be stable.

I used to do this with OC Guru II, but since the crimson drivers where introduced it stopped working.
Now I'm trying to underclock it with msi afterburner, but every time I hit apply, the computer crashes and I have to reset it.

The AMD Control Center is also buggy for me. When I launch it, screen starts flickering going back and forth to a black screen. The only solution when this happens is to reset too.

Any idea or suggestion?